Old or new L-2000 as first G&L?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, Aug 30, 2002.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How do the older ones (pre 84) sound compared to the newer ones? I prefer the vintagelook of the older ones.
    Which one should I get? And why?

How is the neck on the older ones?
  2. gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    Get an older one! I had bought a 99 from someone recently and took it to a guitar shop to play it through an amp just to make sure it sounded ok. It did, but not nearly as nice as the '83 (I think) that was hanging on the wall staring at me, so I immidiately traded for it (I had to fork over some cash too but it was worth it). The neck is near perfect, even with 3 bolts it feels much more solid than the 6-bolt one I traded. The active electronics seem to enhance the low end a lot more too, and the treble boost makes more of a difference too, even with the treble knob cut all the way. The feel is much like a good vintage P bass. The string bounce feels great, especially for slapping. Definately go for the older one - mine is making my '72 Jazz collect a little dust!
  3. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Anyone else like to share their opinion?

Should I go for a mahogany or ash body? Those are the only available on the older ones, right?
  4. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I have owned two L2000s. an '00 Alder and a '82 mahogany. I eventually sold the alder. My '82 mahogany is a peramanent keeper. Deep lows and crisp highs. It weighs a ton, but I got a padded strap and had no problems. Also you might want to know that the very old ones (like my '82) have slightly different electronics. The middle switch is for parallel/single coil for the pickups, while the newer ones it is Series/parallel.

Go for old mahogany if you can get one in good shape. I have never played an ash one, so I couldn't tell you how they sound in comparison to the alder or mahogany.