1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

old P-bass neck question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassix, Apr 29, 2010.

1. bassix

bassix

May 1, 2000
    Denver, Colorado
    My main 4-string is an old trashed Jazz body with a 1960 Precision neck. Of course the neck feels great - especially after I recently fitted it with a new set of Thomastik flats! :D

I don't know what year the body is, I'm guessing 70's era. It has a P-bass rout underneath the pickguard, although it currently has Seymour Duncan Active E.Q. jazz pickups. It has been VERY poorly refinished (black) at some point, and is also very lightweight, making the bass neck heavy. It also has a bumper sticker from the shop where I traded for it slapped on the back. (Guess the owner thought this would be 'vibey'.)

My question for you all that are into old Fenders is this; would replacing the body with a new one (to achieve better balance) matter with regard to the value of the bass? My thinking is that the bass is essentially worth whatever the neck is worth - that the body probably doesn't contribute anything to the value. So, replacing it with a body that will make it a better playing bass seems like a good idea to me. BTW, I'm thinking about replacing it with a nice chambered ash body and maybe a decent set of Fralins.

Thanks!

2. Dan55

Dan55

Apr 26, 2006
    Atlanta
    I think your assumptions are correct. The way to maximize the value of both the body and neck would be to find a '60 body to pair with the neck and likewise find a '70s neck for the '70s body.

But that would end up costing some bucks. You won't lose any value by pairing the '60 neck with a nice chambered ash body. And you could sell the '70s body and pay for the new body and the Fralins.

Dan

3. I agree with Dan.

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I'd be tempted to restore your current parts into two basses. Routes can be plugged, finishes redone in Nitro.

Is the main issue neck dive?

5. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    IMO the body is the bass. If you replace that body out, you've gotten yourself into a whole new bass.

The turn it into two new basses suggestion isn't a bad one. Have you considered lighter weight tuners/a heavier bridge to correct the neck dive? Normally I wouldn't swap anything out on an older instrument, but this one doesn't exactly sound stock.

6. bassix

bassix

May 1, 2000
    Denver, Colorado
    yes

7. Rilander

Rilander

Apr 13, 2010
    Tampa Florida
    what about having the body refinished

8. bassix

bassix

May 1, 2000
    Denver, Colorado
    That's not a bad idea Dan. However I don't know the actual vintage on the body. It was easy to check on the neck based on the serial number, but it's a bit more difficult to verify the date on the body isn't it? I'll pull the neck off and see if I can see anything on the body.

9. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY

10. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I'd look for a 60's body - not that hard to find on Ebay. Would be lightweight probably though, so your neckdive would still exist. I'd just learn to live with it though.

I'd love to see this beast...got any pics???

11. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, if its an original ligthweight alder body, i'd keep it. to me, they are the best sounding ones (most resonant).

since your bass is basically a parts bass (and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that), i would try replacing the stock kluson reverse tuners with gotoh's lightweight vintage 'reverse' tuners to solve the neck dive issue. they fit with no modifications and you won't be de-valueing the neck since they're completely interchangeable with the original ones. it'll shave about a half a pound at the end of the headstock which is a TON.

here's the ones that i'm talking about:
    Gotoh Res-O-Lite GB640 4-In-Line Vintage Style Bass Machine Head Set Nickel

http://www.mojotone.com/Guitar-Part...-Vintage-Style-Bass-Machine-Head-Set-Nickel-4

12. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Neck plates are very easy to swap. Are you sure you have a neck that looks like a 1960 neck?

Show us some pictures of the body (please no camera flash) and we can probably narrow it down.

13. bassix

bassix

May 1, 2000
    Denver, Colorado
    I'll try to post a couple of pics tonight or tomorrow.

14. bassix

bassix

May 1, 2000
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks for this!! I've been looking for lightweight Fender replacement tuners for a long time and just assumed I would need to us Hipshot Ultralites. Great tuners, but as you said, not direct replacement. I didn't even know these existed and will be ordering a couple of set immediately!

15. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    cool. i think that you'll love 'em. i have a set on one of my featherweight fender basses. they're really great heads, and don't disturb its vintage vibe.

16. why are there no pics?

17. JaySwear

JaySwear

Apr 15, 2010
    Gaithersburg, MD
    +1. lets see it! sounds like a cool parts bass

18. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    $110 each??? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

19. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    With all respect, I disagree. IMO the neck is the bass -- the fundamental source of the sound. The body is just there to anchor the strings and hold the pickups. (my 2 cents, etc......)

20. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    The shopping cart listed them as a set for 110 bucks. Thanks for the heads up!:cool: