Old P bass versus the newer styling

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Did the odler style P bass(like the sting signature or the Mike Dirnt signature) have a slightly more curved upper horn than the new(when I say new I mean the way it is now) style? It's just I find the old styling nicer, and the newer one, and can't seem to figure out why.
  2. I believe it's the same shape, just more of an edge radius on the newer incarnation. And arm contour. *and belly cut*????
  3. WEll this is most weird, seeing as I find the new styling hideously boring and taccy(that big pickguard and those tobacco finishes are gross), yet love the new Mike Dirnt bass. I'm confused.
  4. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    I don't know about the older style but the newer signature models are down right UGLY to me. Sorry Leo, but they are -compared to the later models. But since your from England, the home the bass man (Steve Harris), I'll give you this. The P bass is still the ultimate no matter the model....... :smug:
  5. I wouldn't say the P bass is the ultimate. It has its own sound, but then so does the jazz, the thumb, the rickenbacker. I would say the basses that really cant be duplicated are those above, and some others that I haven't listened to enough.
  6. Wait, are we talking the 57 and up era P style? Or are you comparing a 54 style with a Dirnt model?

Any which way, like I said, they all share a common shape, iirc, and the difference is the edge radius and contouring.

And not for nothin, the old style pickguard is much bigger than the current gen P.
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The original P-bass was a "slab", the top and back were flat and the edges on the sides pretty close to square. The 51 P-bass reissue has this style body.

In 1954, the body was contoured similar to the Stratocaster guitar: the belly cut, the forearm contour and rounded edges. The Sting signature bass has this style body.

In 1957, the split pickup and current pickguard shape were introduced and the basic design has been unchanged since.

Not sure about contours on the Dirnt, haven't seen one yet.
  8. I am just comparing the Mike Dirnt to any precision you can buy now that isnt a re-issue or signature. I seem to find the old shape more curvy and nice.
  9. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    a dirnt p-bass, compared to a new mia p-bass, there is a difference in the body. the dirnt p-bass is a knock off of the 50's old school p-basses with some new school styling.

if you are going to get this, just get an american p-bass. soooooooooo much nicer.
  10. But I don't like the american Pbass styling, i think the dirnt bass is more curvy and nice. Plus I've heard it's good for slapping.
  11. Have you heard a P bass slapped? Not exactly the desirable slap tone.

And the Dirnt isn't any curvier. Unless you refer to the pickguard. THE BODY IS THE SAME. Just less radiused in the corners. :D

My head hurts...
  12. I swear to god it has a lsightly different upper horn, I SWEAR! Honest, it's got more of a curve to it.
  13. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yes, less radius in the curves, and the arm rest has a better curve.

my mia p-bass sounds really good slapped, whether plugged in, or not plugged in.
  14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

:confused: I'm confused, I read this thread like 4 times and it still don't make no sense.

all I know is Mike is a Copy Cat :p

I love the look of the REAL P bass... no sissy contours needed :bassist:
  15. :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit:

:D kidding.
  16. OK, you see the sunburst bass above? look at its upper horn, then the white one's upper horn, You'll notice the white one has more curve on the inside of the upper horn.
  17. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    It's a benavente, not a fender.

18. Not a fender, and HOW exactly can you come to that conclusion from an off-angle photograph, where light is reflecing off two totally different finishes, and visual parallax is definitely in effect? Not to mention that one is a 5 string, the other a 6, and that has to be taken into consideration when shaping the neck pocket, and above all else, neither of these basses is a 4 string like the one your initial inquiry is about????
  19. I never said it was a Fender, I was just merely pointing out it is the same difference on the American P bass and the Mike Dirnt P bass.
  20. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    wrong answer.... both identical :bassist: