1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Old peavey 2x15 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by skullhedface_, Dec 11, 2020.

1. skullhedface_

skullhedface_

Dec 10, 2020
    I just recently acquired a new to me bass cab without speakers.... I know it was probably not the best decision, but I already had one and wanted a set. Anyways the question is what speakers should I put in the cab ? Any suggestions? I keep hearing black widows ,but they are a little out of my price range right now. 20201210_172317.jpg 20201210_174426.jpg

MYLOWFREQ likes this.
  2. TransylvaniaE

TransylvaniaE Inactive

Dec 1, 2020
    Eminence Beta15A or
    Peavey Sheffield Pro 1500+

Both same price
    Both perform similar

Cheapest you should be willing to go.
    You can find used Black Widows or Scorpions all the time.
    Locally would be better.
    Usually shipping gets you

Riff Ranger likes this.
  3. skullhedface_

skullhedface_

Dec 10, 2020

Aren't the sheffield speakers more of the "british" style ? Like more midrange ?

4. TransylvaniaE

TransylvaniaE Inactive

Dec 1, 2020
    A full cast frame Black Widow
    Would have magic mids too.

Internet tone descriptions start getting silly.
    It's not like the mids scream out.
    If you dig in hard the mids are there.

Since amps have EQ
    It can be cut or boosted like any other cab.
    Some earlier Sheffield loaded combos
    Are pretty much similar to betas or gammas
    Anyways. Basically were just Eminence speakers.

skullhedface_ likes this.
  5. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    This

Riff Ranger likes this.
  6. skullhedface_

skullhedface_

Dec 10, 2020

Awesome ! Thanks !

7. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Another vote for BW's.

8. I have a couple of these cabs. Both came originally with the square magnet Peavey speakers which I thought sounded O.K. I managed to fairly quickly blow out the speakers in one of the cabs (or maybe they were blown when I got it , been a long time ago) and I had a set of Scorpions laying around so I put them in the blown cab. If I'm not mistaken , Scorpions are guitar or P.A. speakers and not true bass speakers but they ARE pretty stout. I wouldn't want to push this cab too hard but I have used it for practice and a few gigs in the past and it sounded fantastic. I think they are rated at 100 or 150 watts each so in effect a 200 or 300 watt cab as these were old speakers. I'm pretty sure the new ones are 150 watt rated these days. Not the best option for a bass cab but like I said , the cab with them in it sounded great and much better than the cab with the square magnets in it.
    The Scorpions had previously been in a sealed cab and sounded mediocre at best in that cab , but they really seemed to come alive in the Peavey vented cab. No idea what they are going for these days so I'm not sure if this is a viable option for you.
    BTW I have always thought Black Widows were over rated. I have a couple of cabs with BW's in them and the Scorpion cab (to my ears at least) sounds much better.
    FWIW , I don't use any of those cabs any more but if I didn't have an 810 for the basement practice room , that old Peavey would definitely be there.

9. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Kansas City
    Your center slot Peavey 2x15 cab is a really good one with the right speakers. Mine had EV 15BX's (sadly, no longer available) and was "Fenderized" cosmetically to go with a 300 watt all-tube Rumble Bass head and that rig was freaking amazing. If I still had it and needed speakers, I would go with Eminence.
    Ampzilla.1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  10. I had one of those on loan to me for a while back in ‘97. I think it was the best sounding head I ever played. I could have bought it and still regret that I didn’t.

WoodyJ likes this.
  11. skullhedface_

skullhedface_

Dec 10, 2020

The one I have that has speakers in it are the square magnet . To me there is something missing sound-wise . They kinda sound ripped , but aren't . May be because they are original speakers from the 70's.

12. skullhedface_

skullhedface_

Dec 10, 2020

Its a 2x15 with a center port in the box.

13. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Kansas City
    Oops, 2x15 is correct, Senior moment, I fixed the original. Apologies!

14. skullhedface_

skullhedface_

Dec 10, 2020
    You're good man. Lol btw your amp looks very nice !!!

15. I had a shelf port 215 with EVM15Ls in it.
    It was a case of putting what was handy into what I had.
    It also was a rare case of it worked out very well.

I would still have that one if it hadn't left town with my friend's wife and new boyfriend after I left it at his house for the next jam. :bored:

I tried a pair of EVs in a triangle port 215 and it farted.

16. skullhedface_

skullhedface_

Dec 10, 2020

What do you mean "it farted" ?

17. I had the same problem with both of my 2 15 cabs. In both cases , it was due to a dirty input. I cleaned them with a 22 cal. barrel brush and the problem went away both times. It might be worth a try.

18. skullhedface_

skullhedface_

Dec 10, 2020

What did you use to clean it with ? Any kind if solvent?

19. Nope , just a barrel brush. It kinda ruined the brush for anything else but they are cheap and I had a few of them laying around. I guess you could use something like deoxit if you wanted to but I've done it a couple of times with just a brush and never had any problems. Just keep in mind that you are gonna trash the brush so don't use any of your good gun cleaning supplies.

20. skullhedface_

skullhedface_

Dec 10, 2020

Awesome thanks for the info !

sharkbait130 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021