1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

old peavey 410?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bigshawn, Jun 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bigshawn

Bigshawn

Feb 10, 2013
    I have a older peavey 410 with 4 scorpions speakers in it. in cant find anything about the cabinet the tag on back is long been ripped off. Well one speaker is torn so My question is what would be a good replacement for all 4 in this cab. may some neo speakers ?

2. Bigshawn

Bigshawn

Feb 10, 2013
    IMG_20160522_180954.

3. Bigshawn

Bigshawn

Feb 10, 2013
  4. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    There are recone kits available for pretty cheap - have you thought about reusing the existing?

Speaker specs are so very different (in bass cabs, anyhow) that replacement with non-standard components may sound like crap and/or destroy the replacements and/or sound amazing, depending on the match/mismatch between cabinet size and component specs.

Rip Van Dan and 1954bassman like this.
  5. Bigshawn

Bigshawn

Feb 10, 2013

6. The Scorpions are guitar speakers.

To get an accurate prediction of how replacement speaker will perform, you'll need accurate measurements of the cab. Length, Height, width, number of ports, diameter of ports and length of ports.

7. Bigshawn

Bigshawn

Feb 10, 2013
    These are 4 tens in this cab. So your saying its still a guitar cab?

8. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Guitar cabs can be whatever configuration. They seem to like mostly 12's, but my buddy has a Marshall stack of a couple of 410's. IIRC Peavey used Scorpions for both PA and guitar back when. Bass drivers have a different design, so usually you'd want one specifically called out for bass.

9. Bigshawn

Bigshawn

Feb 10, 2013
    This cab has 4 ports on the front leading me to believe that this was intended for bass

WaynerBass likes this.
  10. Didn't say anything about the cabs intended purpose or origin. Some one who didn't know any better could have swapped them out and cut some holes in the front for all we know, or put them in there for a guitar. The left two don't line up. Peavey most likely wouldn't have let that go like that

11. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Why? My 3" computer speakers have ports and they have the bass response of a wet paper bag. I don't know anything more than above.

You might consider JFGI - there are tons of resources that I turned up in like 30 seconds.

Bigshawn likes this.
  12. Bigshawn

Bigshawn

Feb 10, 2013
    Thanks guys I was just looking for info on this cab. It's been sitting around for years and thought I might get rid of it or get some use out of it.

13. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Well, my 30 seconds turned up all kinds of stuff. It's certainly not my fault that you 1) don't know how to use a search engine and 2) are rude to people that are trying to help and 3) can't spell or use the shift key.

14. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    I could be wrong, but if memory serves me correctly Peavey had a Scorpion bass speaker as well. I'm pretty sure I had both an 1810 cab and a 212 Peavey bass cabinet back in the '80's, both loaded with Scorpions. They may have even had field replaceable baskets. In fact, I may have a photo of one (not a .jpeg, but a glossy 8X10). Why not give Peavey Customer Service a call? Or your local Peavey dealer (they are everywhere).

15. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    Friendly advice - I personally would not sink a lot of money into it. It is an old, out-dated design, and if it is like the Peavey gear I used back in the '80's, it weighs a ton (and a half). :dead:

Looking at a used 210 or 410 cabinet would probably serve you better, and cost less. Lots of good used ones out there. I won't start naming brands, but you catch my drift.

ThuzzleFump, Al Kraft and Bigshawn like this.
  16. bass151

bass151

Mar 10, 2012
    Peavey made scorpion bass speakers years ago. !954bassman is pretty much on the money. Putting new speakers in that cab would cost way more than the cab is worth. I have a Fender PRO410SL cab with 1 bad speaker and 1 replacement speaker costs about what I paid for the cab, and the Fender cab is a pretty good cab.

Bigshawn likes this.
  17. Bigshawn

Bigshawn

Feb 10, 2013
    Yes I may just get a replacement speaker and call it a day. It's just a practice cabinet or a backup at best . I have it up for sale now anyway. Just looking for some ideas . Thanks all who have helped

18. Bigshawn

Bigshawn

Feb 10, 2013
    I have some mark bass cabs so I'm with you on the weight thing.

19. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I have two of the same cabinet with different (Eminence 75 watt bass speakers) speakers. I had Scorpions in one for a while and they performed a little better than with the stock speakers. I put some MCM Eminence Beta knockoffs (150 watts) in one and it was a monster...a heavy monster.

Mine have the same porting and are relatively shallow compared to newer PV 4X10 offerings.

The Scorpions are guitar speakers, but PV did use them in a couple bass cabinets. Not great for bass, but I suppose PV thought that in great enough numbers (like 4, although they did have them in a 2X10 for bass too) they would do the job. 10" speakers for bass back then were not that great. Even if power handling was higher, xmas was low and low end somewhat lacking.

1954bassman and Bigshawn like this.
  20. If that's duct tape covering the tear on the bottom left speaker, I'd call that sucker fixed. Seriously, I patched a bug-eaten Black Widow with thick paper and white glue, and it sounded as good as any other TNT combo. Embrace the janky side!

epTrU-Y5zX3rksEZx07St6nRrv-cxqRM4eVrD1ASWywBsrO74Z52VuUuAiTE1qtm0vSRlufjWPg2WxgC_s=w1193-h899-no.