1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Old Peavey appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Trevorus, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, I can't stop playing my 87 peavey Foundation S (the one with the P/J setup). Every bass I get, I take apart to check out all parts of it. Well, I just took the neck off, and guess what I found. Threaded inserts, and really nice micro-tilt adjustment. And, the neck joint is nice and snug. I wish we could still find good quality basses for the price I paid for this thing!

Anyone else out there have some of those older peavey usa basses?

2. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Well, they're not too "old" but they're no longer in production.. Seems I'm becoming a repository for lost and unappreciated Millennium 5 basses..

Currently have this one:

[​IMG]

With this one:

[​IMG][​IMG]

and this one:

[​IMG][​IMG]

on the way to me... So if anyone runs across any USA Millennium 5ers (standard models or Plus models) please let me know.. ;)

3. i think t-40s are pretty cool...

4. Kevdel

Kevdel Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Maryland
    I'm still loving my Cirrus 5 and my Millennium 4.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Hey, old ones. :p

Anyways, I used to listen to that peavey is no good bunk when I started, but now I can't help but pick up every one I can get.

6. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    One Peavey model I always wanted was the Rudy Sarzo sig. Remember those??

[​IMG]

7. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Bump for more Peavey goodness!!

8. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    So you're the one hording all the USA Milleniums Mark! I saw one for sale here in Nashville for $375!!

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I love my Peavey with the Super Ferrite single coil pups. Once i had a new tone pot and knob installed, I found that i had as good a bass as any out there. As for USA Millenniums, I sure wish I could pick another five string of that model. They are seriously in the USA Lakland, Sadowsky, and Lull class when it comes to quality.

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Wow, that rudy sarzo is a beautiful bass.

What really suprises me is the pickups in this Foundation o' mine. They have adjustable pole pieces like dimarzios, and the j pickup is a side by side coil humbucker. And the shielding job on this bass is FANTASTIC! I think it really sets a high standard for production basses.

11. The Sarzo- mmmmm...
    Oh, yeah- hijack: AlphaBass all-tube head, the Ghetto DB-359(that's the Aggie all-tube 200 watter, right?). Anybody wanna trade me one for a dirt-jump BMX bike & an old 4-track recorder?:D

12. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    This is from around 1991 I think

unit2.

PICT0275.

It's a really nice player and weighs 7.25 Lbs.
    It's silly how little these go for on the used market.

Thanks for giving me a reason to post this (again:p )!

Chad

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That bass is awesome looking!!!

14. victobass

victobass

Nov 27, 2003
    Florida,USA
    I had one of those koa neck-thru Peavey Dynabass Unity Series basses a few years ago. I bought it in 1991. Mine was active/passive and had black hardware. What a beautiful bass! I sold it to a church and someone stole it from them. I should have kept that one!
    Now I have one of the USA Millennium 4 strings. This is an awesome bass. I have six other basses, but this is my main player now.

15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Not sure I understand this statement. The Foundation S was not a budget model when it came out. It was mid-priced. My local two-store chain has a NOS G bass for about $600, and a USA Millenium 4 for about the same price. These basses are today's equivalent of that Foundation S. I bought a Dyna-Bass 5 in 1989 that was basically an active Foundation, it was $650 new at the time. It was a great bass. I sold it and don't regret it because the bass I replaced it with, a USA Standard Jazz V, is much more my style, and equivalent in quality. Plus there's always used. So I guess what I'm getting at is, you obviously did find a good quality bass for the price you paid, and older Peaveys continue to be bargains. Well known here on Talkbass, perhaps not everywhere.
    I have a Palaedium that has some neck issues that need to be taken care of, but sounds fantastic. I have a brand new old stock Millenium Standard with a passive P-J pickup configuration that is absolutely the bees' knees!

16. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    T-40, the beast of a bass with a tone that I can't help but love.
    Here's a mediocre picture of me playing the Hard Rock Cafe in Chicago with my '79 t-40 a year and a half ago.

http://blueberryln.com/something/g8/a1.jpg

It replaced my MIM P (w/quarter-pounder) as my fretted 4 string of choice for a couple of years until I finished building my Jazz bass, but I don't think I'll ever part with it.

17. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I ain't got no Peavey bass - but I got a TNT 130 that cranks out sound like no other combo I've every played through - and it's been in heavey use for over 25 years.

18. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Mmmhmmm. I pased up a T-40 in nice shape for $200 a while back, and I still kinda regret it.

19. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Another Sarzo sig. pic...

[​IMG]

:)

20. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    My foundation came with a hardcase, and I paid 200. Really a fantastic bass. The only thing I want more of is looks (it look sort of plain, I needs a pickgard), but the sound really makes the looks not matter.