1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Old Peavey Bass Cab help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DLEE, Feb 24, 2008.

1. DLEE

DLEE

May 24, 2006
    Mableton ,Ga.
    My guitarist just gave me a Peavey 4-12 cab he pulled out of his garage.He claims it is a bass cabinet.It is currently empty but the wiring harness is still there.It has 2 speakers in the top that are sealed from the 2 in the bottom.Each compartment then has a scoop or vent,whatever you want to call it,1 out the top and 1 out the bottom.There is no plate or anything with any info on it.It has a single input jack I'm thinking it should be 4 ohm.It's your standard rectangle cab with the metal feet to lay it on its side.A nice 4-12 with my SVT really would be SWEET!Anything you could pass on would be appreciated.

2. dwhite1031

dwhite1031

May 9, 2007
    1st thing, is it made out of particle board? A lot of the old PV cabs were. If that's the case, I'd stay away from it altogether.

3. DLEE

DLEE

May 24, 2006
    Mableton ,Ga.
    I gave it a closer look and yes the soundboards for the speakers are indeed particle board while the box itself is plywood.

4. dwhite1031

dwhite1031

May 9, 2007
    If you really wanto use it, I would remove the soundboard and replace it with a 3/4 inch plywood soundboard. Old particle board tends to fall apart and a bass cab takes a lot of abuse inside. Use the old soundboard as a template. I don't remember PV making a 412 bass cab, only 412 guitar cabs, but who knows. I had a PV 215 that was a monster to haul back n the 70's. You can go to the PV forums on their web site and ask. Their tech staff responds to most posts and inquiries on that forum.

5. AngryJason

AngryJason

Feb 23, 2006
    Sacramento CA
    +1

You can also go to peavey.com and click the support link for more assistance.

I sent their customer support folks an email yesterday in regards to info on an older Peavey amp, and they got back in touch with me within an hour.

Good luck!

6. DLEE

DLEE

May 24, 2006
    Mableton ,Ga.
    I gave that some thought,I work for a large custom closet company and I have access to our PTP.We also have some Baltic birch stashed in the plant...HHHMMM,she may be reborn yet! Thanks,I'll hit up Peavey.

7. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar It Don’t Mean A Thing... Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    I played through one of those 4x12s once and it was awesome. Never had to move it though!