Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Old Peavey basses.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Nov 9, 2001.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    A friend of mine lent me an old Peavey bass a few years back before I was obsessed with basses. It was ugly, heavy, couldn't be slapped, but had a real ballsy tone (P-bassish) A guy I was playing with at the time said it used to be a poplular bass in the 80's and that they made a similar guitar. No clue what model the bass is.

Anyhoo - the guy is interested in trading that bass (he never uses it) for one of my Hodads. I'm quite fond of my Hodads and I know a great number of you think they're worthless. I don't want to know if anyone thinks this would be a worthiwile trade, but I do want to know if anyone knows anything about Peavey basses from the late 70s early 80s (or a site where I can find out about them). I'm only going to see the bass when/if we make the trade - the guy doesn't live nearby.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Peavey made a T-40 Bass around the early 80s. I recall it was very heavy and ugly but sounded quite good considering they sold it for low cost. Maybe this is the bass you mention.

3. Thrillkiller

Thrillkiller

Apr 25, 2001
    NC
    I've been a Peavey player/collector for many years, so I think I can give you some Peavey basics:

1. Older Peavey basses (late 70's to aroung 1990 or so) are, in my experience, pretty well made and solid.

2. Most can be easily upgraded with a new bridge, tuners, or in some cases, pickups. (Fury uses P pickups)

3. Can be bought rather cheaply. Foundations, Furys, T-40s, and Dyna Basses on ebay all the time for $100-$200, many in Like New condition.

4. Made in the USA.

5. Peavey will help you with any questions, via their company website. They also have a Bass Forum.

6. If you buy it cheap, you can sell it cheap and not lose any money. Maybe you'll even make a few bucks!

7. All of the older Peaveys that I have owned have been very comfortable players.

8. The sound is in your hands. They will make any musical sound that your hands are capable of producing.

It sounds like you're describing a T-40 bass. If so, then YES they are heavy. But they have a nice sound, with a solid ash body, and dual pickups that can be used in many different configurations. I think they look cool as hell.

I'd get it.

4. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Thanks guys, it's a T-40. I did a little readin up after I posted.

I was hopin they were worth millions though. Oh well.

5. BWB

BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    As a long time Precision player and a former owner
    of a T-40, if you're looking for Precision punch
    for mid-range you're not going to get it from the
    T-40. The T-40 is a much more trebly tone.
    I was never enamored with the way mine sounded
    and ended up selling it last year.

Oh yeah - it's the heaviest bass I have ever held.

Scott

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm one of the surviving T-40 owners...got mine in a natural finish in 1983. It's heavy and awkward to play, that's for sure...I never play it anymore.

I didn't realize people were actually seeking these out!:confused:

7. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I don't think anyone is seeking them out. I just know someone who wants to trade one. Wanted to know people's thoughts on them.

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    If you like the sound, go for it. It just wasn't the bass for me...I never pick it up anymore.

The neck was horribly unstable. The tone controls seemed to do little. The bridge pickup works improperly: only one of the two coils works. The phase control doesn't work: it's actually a mute switch now! It's got a heavy ash body, maple neck, passive humbuckers, through-body stringing, and with those stats, I don't recommend it. That's me.

Then again, there are many basses I don't like that other people love;)