1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Old Peavey Heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by christopantz, Jan 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. christopantz

christopantz

Sep 16, 2015
    Hi everyone,

I recently just sold my Kustom KXB500. It wasn't exactly the sound I was looking for. Too sterile, I felt like I needed to have a compressor in front of it in order to get an acceptable tone. I've decided that I like the Peavey stack that I use with my school's jazz band. It's nice and warm and I feel like I don't need to put a compressor in front of it. I think it's a Peavey Mark IV.

I've got a few questions though.

Are the old (70s-80s) Peavey bass series heads considered strictly budget heads? I know it's kind of a stupid thing to worry about, as at the end of the day all that really matters is tone, but I want something that I know in my own mind is good quality, without even hearing it, if that makes sense.

Also, will it sound good through my Ampeg 410HLF? There's nothing wrong with the cabinet, but I'm not sure if it'd be better with a Peavey cabinet.

What other old heads should I look out for? I don't care if they are Peavey or really any other brand (I do like the look of a big head with black tolex though as it matches my cabinet). It'd be neat to have something with tubes to get some natural compression and drive, but I'm not really that picky.

I'm looking for something that can be had for relatively cheap, which is why I brought up those old Peavey heads in the first place.

Thanks a lot!

2. For a while ,my main gigging head was a Peavey Mark 6. It is an early 90's model I think. It is currently my back up to my SVT classic head. If the electric system where I am playing is at all questionable as it has been in a few places that I have played , I will go with the old Peavey every time over my SVT. I personally like the sound of Ampeg cabs over the Peavey cabs. Try as I may , I have never been able to kill any of my Peavey equipment. Love 'em.

3. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    I used a Mark IV back in the early 80's, always regretted trading it away. It was a very flexible head. I wouldn't worry about what anyone else would think about an amp being "budget". So few people pay attention to the bass player's rig. I think I have only had three people ever comment on my rig, all bass players. As to the cab I don't think there was a ton of engineering that went into the old Peavey cabs so a newer Ampeg would probably sound better.

4. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    You are right. :thumbsup:

Old Peavey heads last forever, that's why there are so many around.

5. Cheap.
    Nearly indestructable.
    From the SRV vids I have seen,
    Tommy Shannon seems to like them.

bassbully likes this.
  6. TheRealKong

TheRealKong

Mar 17, 2011
    IK still love my Peavey TMax. Not the oldest amp, but verry versatile with a tube- and a solid state - channel. Lots of punch and grit if you want. As I say the best "no-Ampeg - Ampeg-sound" you can get.

OK, this days it stays in the rehearshall - room, on top of the two TVX 410" - cabs. But its a great backup amp, and its used twice a week by my students.

7. timmerz

timmerz

Jan 2, 2005
    Manteca, Ca.
    The Peavey MaxBass preamp is still what I run (I have both the Peavey and a Trace-Elliot preamps in my rack) when I want the warm tubey sound or the solid state thump...
    As a matter of fact, now that I'm reflecting on it, the first head I bought with my own money was a Peavey, and I still have it buried in the closet in my music room...too lazy right now to go look at which one it was, but I remember it has distortion and looks like the pics of the Festival Series I've seen...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  8. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    If you like the sound of old peaveys, dont fret and realize how lucky you are: they are plentiful, nigh indestructible, and cheap af. Cool points for the pointy logo.

10cc and Al Kraft like this.
  9. vdub75

vdub75

Feb 15, 2013
    Celle/Germany
    I just bought a peavey sessionbass from the 90s, I think. It came to me totally busted (the seller was too dumb to pack it....) with the rack ears all dented and and bent... well, I bent em back as good as I could and dragged it to rehearsal space and it worked really nice. loud 200w! even with my 2 sealed 12's I could shake the walls!

I also have an 80s Century, 100w, really really loud 100w!

gonna get a mark VIII next. for a hundred bucks....

16114719_10210615645374668_9084874694177120898_n.

gfaulkner and deathness like this.