Old Peavey vertical 4x10 PA cab convert to bass cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scuzzy, Mar 2, 2017.

1. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Did a search, didn't find anything.

Found one of these I could get really cheap. It would be sealed. Considering eminence Delta 10B 16ohm speakers. Wouldn't want earth shaking bass, but good sound/volume for better self monitoring. Would this be a terrible waste of money? On the cheap, I could get budget line 8ohm speakers and wire top two in 4ohm, bottom 2 in 4ohm and run each pair from each side of power amp. The former would run about $300 total, latter would be under $100. Thoughts? As a sealed cab, would this be terribly unlike a sealed 810 bass cab cut in half? Chime in please!
    2mphlom.jpg

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  2. Eminence Basslite SC10-16.

yodedude2 and DukeLeJeune like this.
  3. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Love the specs. For that kind of scratch, I would have very high expectations.

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

I think you’d would end up with a crapshoot. In all honesty I doubt that repurposing that box for bass use would be too successful.

InhumanResource and RichSnyder like this.
  5. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
  6. Why? Those SC10's are happy with anything reasonably north or south of 1 cubic foot per driver in a sealed cabinet.

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Cos if i’m going to the expense of buying four good drivers I’d also pay a bit more for wood and build something more suitable.

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Create "2x2x10" by partitioning the cab in the middle. Then tune the two "cabs" for the speakers.

9. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    I am leaning that way. Although I would love those eminence lites, i think for the price, i may not be able to swing it.

I am leaning towards possibly dividing the cab, using some budget 10" drivers made for small sealed cabs (8ohm each) and do each section with each side of my power amp. would leave the option to biamp clean/effected channels too (something I have been wanting to tinker with). My amp already has a 50hz hi-pass filter, so I wouldn't be sending it any poo frequencies. this has me intrigued. it would be a cab i would leave at the place it's used. no need for excessive transport, and its for church in a large boxy room (concrete and steel) so the sound guy would prefer not TOO much volume. dispersion is my reasoning for this idea.

10. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    that would also allow me to put the current speakers in one part, and only buy 2 new to start, trial them, see their potential, and go from there......hm.....

Stumbo likes this.
  11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

isn’t your name spelled SCSI? :)

12. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    had to google it! no idea what that referred to, but no. it's a silly name I picked for an online game back in college. i stuck with it for my various online personas.

13. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Hey, I know what your talkin' 'bout.

pie_man_25 and BassmanPaul like this.
  14. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Yep. Add some insulation and you'll be good for a trial run. What head are you using?

15. tonybassman

tonybassman

Jul 27, 2011
    I would rebuild it as a PA cabinet. That would work as a side stage monitor pointing at the whole band. It also would be good as a rehearsal PA speaker. Slap on some wheels and leave it at the rehearsal spot.

I think you should send it to me.

16. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
  17. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    The Eminence Legend BP-102.4 (the 4-ohm version) works well in compact sealed boxes. One of their factory recommended single-woofer designs is slightly over 1/2 cubic foot in a stuffed sealed box.

18. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Sansamp RBI into a Crowne xls1000. Nothing fancy.

Stumbo likes this.
  19. Lvjoebass

Lvjoebass In Memoriam

Jan 19, 2017
    Try it, will surprise you! Years ago a buddy of mine used a pair kustom t&roll 4-12s in his van hooked to 8-track! Got to country bar-gig & used w/ kustom 200 p.a. head and was amazing!

20. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Wow, we crushed and burned a bunch of those particle board coffins for skinny folks that were left in a storage space by our shop... they were terrible PA speakers, they were heavy as hell, the joints would break apart. Why put money into something like that when you can buy some really good used older school bass cabinets that are WAY better for about the same price? IMO, it would be money thrown away.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021