1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

old peavy pa 400 as bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DredFetus, Apr 16, 2015.

1. DredFetus

DredFetus

Nov 19, 2010
    I just bought a old peavy pa 400 to use for my big ev speakers. Hooked up and ive been using my bass right through it. Has anyone had any experience on this or thoughts. It sounds pretty good. just been using my vintage tube overdrive pedal and a bass limiter/enhancer. it makes a small buzz noise, was told theres a silicone spray that will stop it. Here are some pictures of my current set up.
    20150414_232632. 20150414_232654.

2. No spray will take care of a buzz noise. Does it have a three wire cord? If not look for the ground polarity switch. Or you may need some new power supply caps.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I've been using the same speakers with a Peavery Deca 700 amp.

Do not use a silicone electrical spray. It will muck up your amp. If you need to clean contacts, use a product called deoxit (I use D100L-25C).

4. DredFetus

DredFetus

Nov 19, 2010
    I dose have a three wire cord. And at the back of it you can see the wires they came out of the holder. No wires exposed tho. Its a very quit buzz tho im not positive if its the ground that all looks fine.

5. DredFetus

DredFetus

Nov 19, 2010
    im not going to use any exterior product. Dont like the idea of spraying poopie inside it.
    How do you like these speakers for the bass. I used to dj with my dad along time ago and thats where i used mine. First time using them with my bass i noticed there dont seem as punchy as my yorkville bassmaster 50

6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I usually turn the horns off, at most crack it open a bit. They work for me. They are well designed cabinets except for the weight.

Could be that the old speakers need some attention. A lot of speakers will work well in that cab. The jacks tend to build up oxidation which affects the sound. The bad contact acts like a resistor. Some Deoxit will help. Speakon connectors are a good idea.