1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Old Pfretschner aluminum bass on Epay

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by james condino, Dec 19, 2011.

1. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    No financial interest here or any other connection to this seller / ad; rather just a little heads up for all of the folks who call me on a regular basis every week looking for an old aluminum double bass. Check out this link:

Unknown Upright Bass with Case-C500 | eBay

From my experience with old Pfretschners, underneath that low budget layer of brown paint looks to be a reasonable condition c.1930s-1950s Pfrestchner aluminum bass. Notice the screws, crimped seams, back "button", neck and soundholes.

I've already got another in restoration right now, otherwise I'd have the high bid!

Maybee a little holiday present for everyone lusting after Johnny Atomic's pimped out ride.....

j.

Attached Files:

2. What would you guess a good restoration would run $-wise? I live about 110mi from this bass and I love yours in the photo!!

3. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    The bass pictured is owned by a fellow who goes by Johnny Atomic around here; ask him about the $. He sells custom endpins in the classified section.

Here is another one up for sale today, at what I'd guess is a record opening bid for such a rough looking finish! Factory original painted Pfretschners are quite rare, but this one isn't likely to help the sale:

RARE KAY ACOUSTIC UPRIGHT STANDUP BASS WORLDWAR 2 ALUMINUM BODY CHROME WOOD HEAD | eBay

The neck looks pretty nice and it is sporting two Red-O - Rays! How did that guy get my Dad's old Harmon Kardon receiver from the 70s in the background????

*******edit: I contacted the seller of that bass yesterday and tried to let them know that it was a Pfretschner and not a Kay; to put it politely, he was quite an "a$$#0!e" and gave me a lot of flak for asking where he was located ( and still never told me where...). I'd stay clear of him and never attempt buying anything from someone like that; he should stick to the rest of his auctions selling used fur coats........*********

On a side note, has anyone around here used a product called htp 2000? It is a low temperature aluminum brazing rod, similar to alumaweld rods, but supposedly a newer generation alloy. My welding skills are not good enough to use a tig type system on the old school .050" thick aluminum sheet metal that these were made from.

Guess what I'm working on this week???

j.

4. Hi.

I don't have any experience about that particular brand, but back in the day I did try alumaweld, or something along those lines. There was several different "brands" though IIRC.
    "Same crap, different package" we used to say.

IME those band-aids are perfect for "exhibition metals", too bad those alloys aren't used. Anywhere ;).

I'd suggest that You'd hone your TIG skills, even with ancient transformer AC Tigs, the results are much better than with those "brazing" rods.

IME the learning curve to brazing is way steeper than on TIG as well, and since the application range is very limited, I for one would fail to see the point.

Regards
    Sam