1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Old player/New member

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by fergus currie, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Hi all, I am a Scotsman living in Greece. I am 47 years old and have been playing bass (mostly classical) since I was 14. My first payed gig was in a trad jazz band at the tender age of 16, in an over 21s bar where I had to wear a false moustache and an overcoat to pass the age limit.

I went to the Royal Academy of Music in London and studied with Robin McGee. I have played professionally, predominantly in chamber orchestras
    for most of my career.

Recently I turned to composing full time as a trade but 4 years have passed and I miss the playing so now I'm getting back into the bass in a big way. lots of practice and out with the Simandl, Hrabe and Bille studies! I;m also trying to work up a solo repertoire so you'll find me lurking around the sheet music section and the orchestral technique threads. I can give advice on orchestral playing and on some solo works if they are in my rep. I also enjoy chatting about the bass, exchanging 'stories from the back desk' and general music chat.

I reckon I'll be quite an active participant here since, from what I have seen already, there is a lot going on and something for everybody!
    Nice Forum and nice to be here

Fergus Currie

2. Fergus, I'm bumping this post to make sure you get my message in public.
    My old friend Marcus Johnson just exsposed you (so to speak) on our BASSISTS forum heading.
    You are really something. The music is divine. I love your attitude. Really glad you're here.