Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

old polytone bass cab??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by plastica, Jan 27, 2004.

1. plastica

plastica

Dec 21, 2003
    watertown wi usa
    i recently bought an old bass cab at a local resale shop. it is 2x 15s and 4 8s. the 8s are in a row to the left of the 15s (or above depending on how you stand it) there are 2 seperate chambers, and the speakers are wired totally seperate. no crosover or anything fancy. im thinking these were something from a department store catalog or something. the tag on the back says "polytone , hollywood cal" it had trashed 15s in it but i had 2 really nice ones neading a home. the 15s i removed were almost exactly the same as the ones i installed wich were from an old acoustic. so i wonder if the 2 companys are linked or got the speakers from the same suplyer.
    it matches up really nicely with my peavey 1516 (a 15 and 2 8s) but sounds better! im just wondering if anyone can tell me anything about it or if anyone has seen one like it. ive never seen this kind of configuration before. it is a great sounding box and i got it for a song so i will never regret buying it.
    Thanks!

2. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Can we get a some pics?

3. plastica

plastica

Dec 21, 2003
    watertown wi usa
    a buddy snapped a shot of it with his digital, but its such a big file he cant send it to me. and he dont know how to shrink it. so itll be a while. i gotta give him a floppy to put it on

4. Polytones are pretty rare solid state amps. Didn't know they made cabs. Upright players and jazzers are their main users. They're clean and loud. You've made a find.

5. If you upload the phot to www.clubphoto.com
    it will resize the photo automatically and you can host there for free if you like!

I know quite a few bassist who use polytone amps for Upright too.

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. plastica

plastica

Dec 21, 2003
    watertown wi usa
    so does anyone know if there is a connection to ACOUSTIC? i know acoustic was out of van nuys, but im not a california geogrophy major lol. the frames and magnets are identical. im powering it with a GK 400rb and it sounds SWEET!! well at least in comparison to the peavey lol.

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    To my knowledge, Polytone has nothing to do with acoustic, or anybody else.

They still make amps and are indeed the amp for Jazzers. I have an 80's Mini S15B and a 2001 Mini Brute V. Started in the early 70's and still in Hollywood, Cal. And still have no website to my knowledge. They have made an incredible array of amps and accessories for a small company. In fact, they even made a bass - which are and decent quality. The amps work equally well for bass and 6 string. I love the tone. All solid state, all 4 ohm, and all use eminence speakers, to my knowledge.

Their phone number is (818) 760-2300.