Old precision funk sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nunk6, Dec 24, 2000.

1. nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    hey i got the millenium funk cd and listening to the basslines and tone i now love the precision funk sound;
    tower of power is my favorite!
    just wondering what everyone else here thinks of the old school funk and the best basses to use(id say fender P but you never know)
  2. Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    I would say that it is more technique to play "old school" funk or any other form of music rather than the instrument used. Use the bass that is most comfortable to you, that allows you to play to your full potential, and the style you want to develope becomes easy.

I've played P's, J's, MM's, and now Lakland and find you can make the basses sound very similar with the right strings, tone settings, and technique.

Mar 3, 2000
    i think that he was right. There is somethin to those p-basses in that context. I have a p-bass and i feel just like Rocco Prestia when i turn up the bass and the mids and on my 2x15 stack and play "what is hip?". However there are some hints i could give. If you play closer to the fretboard the sound get's a little better, and if you use more of the pad of your finger than the tip also has a nice effect. Good luck
  4. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Doesn't seem like a mystery to me: if you want the sound of the old funk, use the same tools as the dudes did and play the same way as they did - and then you'll *sound* like the dudes did! :) I have a '70s P-bass, and I have it set up (strings, heights, pickups) just right for that sound, and through experience, I've learned the subtleties of plucking and muting to get those treasured sounds. Back then, though, there were lots of J-basses used, too. They give a different sound, and it's funky too - just different. Depends on the sound you're after. If you like the "P" sound best, go for it! The Stu Hamm "Urge" bass has both P- and J-style pickups, so it might be the best of both worlds for a 4-string.
    - Mike