1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Old R.E.M. bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by anthowl, Sep 30, 2009.

1. in this old vid of R.E.M. on Old Gray Whistle Test, 1984.
    Can anybody tell me what kind of bass this chap is using?
    It looks and sounds pretty funky.

2. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Not positive, looks like an old Guild Pilot. They were new then.

3. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    Sounds Walish but I know it isn't.

4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I'm pretty sure you're right. Actually, it looks a little more like the Pilot forerunner, the one with the pickguard that covered most of the body (don't remember the model name...)

Mike

5. I think it's a Guild sb-602. As stated by EmbleyMouse and Mike Zimmerman, it's name morphed into the "Pilot", IIRC.

6. Yeah, that's an early Pilot. Aren't those about due to be retro?

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  8. El Tookay

El Tookay Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    Will Lee and Garry Tallent both had that version of the Pilot, circa 1982-83- Will's was red and white tiger stripes. Guild sold a lot of Pilots because of Uncle Will on Letterman. Around 84, the dropped the pickguard.

And yes, Jaco did play and endorse them. The rumor was that Mark Dronge used one of Jaco's 62 J's for the neck profile jig for the Pilots. Great, super under-rated basses, I owned 3 back in the day, including a custom 5. They could never settle on a headstock- hockey-stick, shoe, cake-cutter, hog-nose, it changed every two years.

9. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    Funny, I've never seen Mike Mills with a Guild before--usually a Rick, Fender P or black '80s Ibanez Roadstar. IMO he's one of the great melodic pop-rock bassist/vocalist/songwriters, right up there with Sir Paul, Sting, Jack Bruce, etc.

That original design with the pickguard was really snazzy. I remember seeing a metallic purple one with flamed maple FB that was just gorgeous. TalkBasser Peekster (Jerry Peek, played with Steve Morse after Andy West/before Dave LaRue) was also involved in the SB-602/Pilot design. I had a blue Pilot with EMGs that was really light and kinda tonally deficient--a friend's brother had a heavier one with DiMarzios that sounded better.

10. mark107

mark107

Jul 10, 2009
    I've only seen him live with a P, and the records sure sound like a P. Never trust videos.

11. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    I think Jerry Peek had one with the Steve Morse band as well.

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    The Black Ric and a white jazz was up through the recording of Reckoning. The Guild was for the touring of Reckoning. I don't recall seeing a straight up P bass until about 1990. He did tour a black with matching headstock and maple board "Jazz Bass Special" (P body with rear route and PJ setup) for the Document and Green tours...

but you are right... Mtv type videos lie :)

Here are some early live videos of the Ric and Jazz