1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Old Rickenbacker sighting

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SheaNC, Apr 30, 2016.

1. SheaNC

Jun 15, 2006
    Marysville CA
    Others have already noticed this I'm sure, but in this old Roy Orbison video the bass player is playing a Rickbacker. New at the time, totally vintage today. Sort of a close up beginning at 2:05 or so. Here's the link:

Ellery, Spectrum and nixdad like this.
  2. MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    Awesome. Do you think that video was the inspiration for Neil using the giant amps on the Rust tour?
    bobyoung53 likes this.
  3. Assuming you're actually hearing that particular bass. I think TV shows like that were usually pre-recorded and then lip-synced in front of the camera.
  4. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Right. No telling if it was used on the pre-record or the issued recording. But great to see. It is the earliest clip of a full-trim deluxe 4001 that I've seen. Others from that era were RM 1999s. Love the two-part bridge on that song. Bass line on OPW is good exercise.
  5. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Do my eyes deceive me, or did he have the bridge pickup cover off? :whistle:
  6. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Your eyes. Back then, the treble pickup didn't have a cover, it had the horseshoe magnets that made the pickup work! Take those off and you got nuttin. The plastic cover over the newer high-gain pickup didn't appear until 1968 or so. Oh Pretty Woman was in 1964.

According to Wikipedia (yeah, I know), Bob Moore played an upright bass on the record.
  7. Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    Whoa cool!
  8. PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Well you're definitely not hearing the piano in the video, because it's a Wurlitzer 140B, and that sure doesn't sound like one on the recording.
  9. This is the original recording, not a lip sync and according to Bob Moore's website he did play on this record but I would be willing to bet that he played a P bass not an upright, if you listen to earlier Orbison recordings they definitely have upright bass on them but they sound very different than the bass on this record. I once read an interview in which Roy said he switched to electric bass during the early 60's like most everyone else. It possibly could be a Rick on the record though as they can sound very similar to a Fender with flatwounds on them and there were virtually no roundwounds in 1963-64 when this record was made.

This from an article:
    For those that don't know, BOB was really "the guy" that took us (mainstream) from doghouse bass to "Fender Bass", and for those that don't know this, "Fender Bass" was at one time as synonymous with "electric bass guitar of any brand", as slip joint pliers were with "channellocks", yet he never said goodbye to his uprights.
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
    Ductapeman and MCF like this.
  10. Ductapeman

Ductapeman Ringmaster and Resident Geriatric Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2016
    The West Pole
    I solemnly swear that I am up to No Good
    The hair-- the hair-- IT BURNS--
  11. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Ahh, you're right, of course. Just watched the video again, and what I thought was the Big Black Hole that results from taking the cover off, was... just a shadow. The next time he moved his hand, I could clearly see the horseshoe for a split second. I should have known better, anyway... now I'm definitely going to the eye guy next week...:facepalm:
    Ductapeman likes this.