1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Old rosin containers

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Steve Swan, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    Here are a couple of old bass rosin containers.

- "Sherman's" bass rosin was distributed by a southern California company and manufactured by Dodson's manufacturing Company in Escondido. I really appreciate that this rosin "-withstands climatic conditions well."

- "Couch's" bass rosin from Boston, MA, this one in the 'summer "marvelous" ' flavor. On the bottom of the cardboard container, the flavor (under where the price tag sticker went) was "california special" . The rosin in this container looks identical to old "Petz" brand bass rosin. IMG_5397.

chuck3 and gnypp45 like this.
  2. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Sherman's bass rosin is still being made with the same container. It's also still pretty awful.

- Steve

CSBBass and fu22ba55 like this.
  3. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    image.

Last year I needed rosin and stumbled across my first container of Petz, from about 1972.

It's the one with the cool bear playing bass amongst the trees. 45 year old rosin and still worked, kinda. The price was a couple of dollars back then.

4. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    Was your Petz numbered for hardness? I have some cakes of #2 and #3.

5. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Steve

I use both #2 and #3 - generally #3 in rehearsals and #2 (which is a little softer) at home. I find it much improved from the days of Casey's and my youth! Although, I too, for some bizarre reason, still have one of those green containers from the 60s and 70s. Must have been the bear!
    Louis

6. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2010
    I have Petz #4. It’s very hard. Still has the same green container. Kolophonium Rosin.

7. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    Works just fine for me.

8. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Maybe I had an old cake of Sherman's bass rosin.

- Steve

9. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

I, too, had this Petz rosin back in the mid-1970's.
    If I remember correctly, the green plastic container was softer and easier to apply (and played better), than the rosin itself.
    Thanks for the memories.

gerry grable and dhergert like this.
  10. Fooled by the title! I thought this thread was going to tell me something cool to do with all my old rosin containers. My wife recently found my secret stash of little red cylinders (and a few gold and purple) and wants them gone. I... just.. can't... seem... to... let... go...

11. I've been looking for some extras... send 'em my way!