Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

old-school 7-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

For those of you who think bass should only have 4 strings and 7-string is just a new-fangled gimmick, here's the top portion of a 7-string bass viol from the 1700's.

Photo taken this afternoon at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC.

Looks like it's strung with D'Addario Slowounds. :D

[​IMG]

2. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    i wonder when JT will feel the need to have Bill Conklin make him one like that!

P@

:D

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Actually it's a little known fact that the head that is carved on the headstock is one of JT's ancient relatives. Predilection for more than 6 strings is apparently hereditary.

brad cook

4. The real question is: Did you pick it up and try to slap Flea riffs?

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Sure, but Monsieur de Sainte Colombe only needed four strings....

Looks like Wishnevsky cut that nut and attached the frets.

6. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    But seriously folks. . .
    :) Youse be looking at a "Viola da Gamba", and they are wonderful baroque instruments. If you haven't heard one, well ya oughtta!

There's a film called Tous le Matins du Monde that you can get at your local offbeat video store that features this axe. It's actually a good film too, captures the musician's passion and dedication, as well as being historically interesting.
    LM

7. That looks like a Violone which is like a larger Viola da Gamba ( both part of the Viol family ) and is played standing up like a double bass. A Viola da Gamba is played between the legs ( hence, the "da Gamba" part ). The Violone is used in many Bach concertos. I have seen them with 6 and 7 strings but never 5 or 4.

The smaller one to the left is probably a Viola da Gamba. Although, it's hard to judge the scale from that pic.

- Dave

8. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Hey, its the primative version of JT's 7er.

Dave wanna whip up a caveman version of JT hahaha

9. That thing is kinda scary lookin, in a horror film, that might be the kning then that comes to life ,and bites at your leg :eek:

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

In another thread I posted about an article in Double Bassist magazine, where there was a feature on a 5-string Viennese Double Bass.

The article pointed out that 5 strings was standard on Double Basses made in Vienna in the 1700s!! ;)

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hello, (tap, tap), is this thing on here? Oy, tough crowd.

12. tenebrae

tenebrae nothing to see here move along please thank you

May 4, 2001
    a major fault line
    Due to the fact that the 6- and 7-string da gambas have frets, the possibilities for chordal work on this instrument are astounding.

To me, the most enjoyable pieces of any genre to play on the electric bass (7-string, of course) are M. de Sainte Colombe's and Marais' solo works on the "Tous les Matins" soundtrack.

Definitely worth checking out if you've never heard the instrument (the bowed low-A will make your knees turn to jelly!).

Unfortunately, a well-made used bass viol (7-str.) will set you back about $7K, plus $500-$1K for a bow.:eek:

Someday......

14. oi! Indeed. :rolleyes:

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you think that thing is cool, check out a baryton. :D

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Here's the 2002 model of the above instrument:

[​IMG]

Sorry, I don't have photoshop so I couldn't really do it well

brad cook

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ooo, cool. they'll sell like hotcakes :D.

18. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    its fretted, how uber :D

19. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I wonder when they'll start making a Korean import version? :D

20. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO

how cool.... I have always wanted a JT signature model!

P@