1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Old School 70's Lawsuit Ibanez Fretless P/J (burst w lined maple fingerboard)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Quadzilla, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

FS Only:

How many of these have you seen? Mid-70's Ibanez P (w J profile neck, 1.5" nut). This is a lawsuit era MIJ bass and these are considered by most (including me) to be of better build quality than the Fenders of that same era.

The J pup is an early DiMarzio and was added prob back around that time (70's or early 80's). Has a 3-way switch (1 - bridge pup, 2 - both pups, 3 - neck pup).

She has her share of dings and is a player, but sounds and plays great. Fingerboard is in great shape. I need to clean the input jack or replace it as it crackles when you wiggle an inserted instrument cord, but that will be done before I ship her. Other than that, vol and tone knobs work fine, as do the tuners, etc.

Weight is prob between 8 & 9 lbs (very reasonable). All this for $349. Hell of a deal when you consider what a 70's Fender would cost you and would probably be not built as well as this one. Yes, I've owned my share of 70's Fenders and yes there are some true gems out there. But all and all, a lot of them were built poorly (I have had several duds). This is no dud! ;)

DSCF0413.

DSCF0424.

DSCF0428.

DSCF0426.

DSCF0430.

2. AA63

AA63 Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2003
    Montreal, Canada
    Pinging Aussie Mark connoisseur of fine Ib's.

3. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    These 70s Ibanez lawsuit instruments are nice - definitely as good or better than 75% of 70s Fenders I've played. I had a really good sunburst Ibanez J with blocked neck, in my case I only sold it because I prefer P-width necks. Good luck with the sale, that's a bargain price!

4. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Undoubtedly funky. Is it factory fretless? What does it say on the neck plate?

5. Quadzilla

Neck plate reads:

H771839
    Made in Japan

Wonder if the "77" in ther serial is for 1977? And if it's not a factory fretless, then it's a KILLER job done be a pro luthier as it looks 100% factory.

6. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    DiMarzio by the bridge?

EDIT: Just reread the OP. Free bump then!

7. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Jaydee Basses
  8. Quadzilla

Could be wrong, but I don't think it's the same bass. The guy I bought it from said he had it for many years. Although I suspect the same luthier did the mods as these two basses are almost identical. There are a few slight differences (3-way switch is in different place, pickguard on his is cut out for truss while mine is not, mine just has Ibanez on headstock and his says something in addition to Ibanez, etc...

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Gee, that bass sure looks familiar. :smug:

10. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Jaydee Basses
  11. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Not the same bass. That bass in the thread was mine. I sold it before moving to Florida. Mine was a bit different, it did say Ibanez Silver Series on the head stock and I had a black and gold Badass bridge on it. Also there was a slot cut into the pickguard to access the truss rod. Not sure who owns it now, but it would be interesting to find out! That was pretty much my main bass through college. That and a fretless Kramer. I did not own a fretted bass then!

ibanez.

12. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    It is. My 77 Aria Pro II is Matsumoku made, serial H77####. H = August.

13. Quadzilla

Man, thanks for the info embly! Very useful. Better hurry folks. Lots of interest in this, but no firm commitments yet. First with the cashola gets her.

14. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    If this had Frets!!!

Bump for TB's favorite Purveyor of Pre-Owned Basses.

15. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Folks, if you're looking for a fretless 'Fender' Jazz on a budget, get over the headstock and buy this. This is so much more bass than a used Mexican Jazz. And the P/J thing puts it waaayyy over the top. Bump!

16. Quadzilla

Last bump before listing on Evil Bay this eve.

17. revlimitbounce

revlimitbounce Gold Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2007
    AZ
    Hey Quad:

What's it sound like with that super-rear J pickup placement?

18. Quadzilla

Hi Jim,

Sounds pretty much as one would expect. Very much like a 70's J but just a tad thinner / woodier. I actually prefer the P and J blended. Really cool tone there.

19. Quadzilla

This is now on Evil Bay but still avail here at a lower price.

20. Quadzilla

Just popped off the pickguard because a TBer wanted meto make sure it was not one of those cheapo MIJ replicas. It's a true solid bodied bass body. No ply here folks. Nice grain if you look close. I also noticed that the P pup has brass grounding plates underneath.

It appears that the famous luthier - Abe Rivera prob did the fret and pickup route and electronics, etc. He did another Ibby just like this one on TB and did the same EXACT mods to that one too (pictured in this thread). Same fingerboard lines, same pickup, etc. Work is pro for sure. Pickup route is done right as is wiring, etc.

This is NOT some cheapo junk import. At least on par with a 70's Fender at a fraction of the price!