Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Old School AccuGroove

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bernie Connors, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Do we have any bassists that love a classic rock tone and use AccuGroove cabinets? What's your combination of amp and AccuGroove that you use to achieve your tone? I know that Accu's are a blank canvas on which to build your ideal tone, so I'm sure I'll see alot of different combinations.

Thanks all.

2. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I'll play,

Lately I've been going for more of an "old school" tone because of the band I recently started working with, and I although I'm not using vintage basses or amps, I can totally dial up a gutsy gritty tube tone that sounds pretty old school to me, at least to me it's pretty spot on with southern rock or classic rock. If I just push my Demeter's input to where it starts breaking up a little, the el whappo digs in, transcends that smoothness and refinement that it's so good at, and gets down and dirty.

This brings up a point regarding Accugroove that others have touched on, and I think is important. The bottom line is this, they can sound however you want them to sound. Want razor sharp highs, scooped mids and huge booty bass? Sure, just eq it up. Want ultra flat hifi articulation, thats in there too. Thats exactly what I love about the Accugrooves, they don't sound like Accugroove cabs, they sound like whatever I make them sound like, and the spectrum of tonal possibilities is huge.

So yeah, thats a 10-4 on the classic rock tone.

you can hear some live mp3's from our bands shows here:((Loop)) in Asheville, NC

3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I also can't say I'm playing vintage gear, but I have a great vibe going with my Reverend Rumblefish, DB750, and Whappo Jr. It's thick, punchy, and great for my acoustic/electric rock band.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Hey Bernie,

Not to stray off topic here, but where in IN are you located at?? I get through there quite a bit.

5. Thanks, everyone.

Ryan,

I live in a tiny town called Hebron. Where do you go through?

6. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Well, I'm gonna chime in here, and this is only my opinion and findings.

As AccuGroove cabs are highly recommended around these parts, I took off work to go to a local Guitar Center to try the Tri 112L and a Bill Dickens 212. I took my Epi 112 to try against the Tri 112 and on an earlier visit I tried the BD212 against my Epi 310 (all Epi's are NYC's - not UL's).

I tried and tried to like the AG's and I have NOTHING against them. They are truly the blank sonic pallette that one can sculp a tone on. But I guess I didn't have the right colors. In both tests, the Epi's had a color that wasn't just familiar to me, I preferred it. Now, keep in mind that I really WANTED to like the AG's and I went into these trials with the expectation and plan to part with the Epi's. I even had buyers and trade deals all lines up. IF this had worked out I was going to get boxes and rates to ship stuff away and was ready to take a down payment on another cab..... but afterwards, I just couldn't get with the AG sound.

I only say this as a share of my wisdom that until you have tried them... don't sell the farm. If you have an old school tone jones that needs a regular fix, as I do, you may want to think about the AG line. Old School implies a certain level of funk and nastiness from finger style and slap that I haven't been able to get from the AG cabs. The Aguilar DB750 is a great amp, and lends itself well to old school tone. I can't wait to try Folmeister's at the pending Bay Area GTG. SO if you've got one of those, you will do well. BUt just try as much as you can before you take the plunge.

My current set up is a Smith 6 N/T, Eden Nav, Crest CA9 and Epi 112's, 110's and a 310 all NYC.

Just my $0.02. Slide me back a penny.... I need the change for the Bay Bridge.

7. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    As a side note, I don't think the BD 212 is a good cabinet to represent the tone of the AG line. That cabinet, being custom designed fore Bill, incorporates different drivers and crossovers and whatever else. The end result is killer, but it doesn't sound like the rest of the Accugroove cabs. And as far as old school goes, I think I would easily reccomend a whappo jr. over a Bill Dickens cab.

I've never thought of epifani as an "old school tone" kind of cab, and playing through their 210 and 112, I didn't think it was particularly old school souding. Then again, guys like Daryl Jones, Pino know a thing or two about old school, so what do I know!?! I haven't played through their 212 either, which I think is the preferred cabinet for those guys.

just a thought.

Jake

8. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    I use a Jr. with my DB 750. One of my bands is a classic rock group, and when I play with them, I switch the Deep switch on, crank the bass up to about 1:30, and cut the treble back just a little on my bass itself. Sounds pretty huge and thumpy to me.

9. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I think you can EQ an old school tone with a Accugroove...but to me Old School Tone is equal to a sealed cab...so even though the tone seems old school I still miss the punch and cutting tone of a sealed cab.

10. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    Someone told me about that cab. It was evidently traded in because it had a damaged speaker. Guitar Center has never contacted us about a repair. This means it’s either still damaged or they replaced the driver with the wrong generic speaker.

BTW: Bill’s cab is perfect for old school.

Mark
    AccuGroove Speaker Cabs

11. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    GC.... actually do the right thing to fix a piece of damaged used gear before they put it on the sales floor.....???

Just say no....

That was in jest, but for what they're asking, I'd be willing to bet that they did a quick repair job (with non AG stuff since you say they didn't contact you) to hurry up and get their money back. They also have a Tri 112 L on the floor for sale. I'm hesitant to post prices...might be inappropriate... but if you want to know...PM me.

12. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I got to road test an El Whappo Jr for 3 months, and it did it all in style.

13. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    So, Mark:
    If I went to GC and tried to jimmy it from them on that issue, could it be repaired at a reasonable cost?

14. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    About $163 for the driver. You could easily do the repair yourself.

Mark
    AccuGroove Speaker Cabinets