1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Old School Amps Model One-Pull the Trigger?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by evenintheshower, Sep 16, 2010.

1. evenintheshower

evenintheshower Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    I have always wanted a tube amp. The Model One Bass Amp looks like a good choice for me, but I'm sort of looking for some guidance and a blessing from my friends here at TB.

Here's the link:

http://oldschoolamps.com/BassAmps.aspx

I don't need huge volume, just something with nice punchy tube tone. I need just enough for stage volume. I'm 42 now (don't want heavy stuff to carry around) and playing small-medium bar and club gigs/church/occasional small outdoor stage stuff with sensible gui****s (playing smaller Fender combo tube amps) and a reasonable drummer. I would pair it up with an 8 Ohm Avatar B410 Neo cab. We always have access to a PA system.

I have emailed back and forth with the owner, Dale Murrow. Seems like a really nice guy. He says that it's rated 20W RMS (at 8 Ohms) with no distortion and more around 40W or so with some distortion. It is Class A, using a KT-88 tube power tube, and three 12AX7 and one 12AU7 preamp tubes. It has a line out with level control to go to a PA.

What do you all think? Am I a fool for giving such a setup a go? The price tag is doable for me and it seems to be built for a lifetime. I just don't want to get it and feel that I made a mistake somehow. I try to gather as much information before making purchases like this, so I thought I would ask.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    you might want to try it out first, but word on these amps has been nothing short of great. will it be enough for you? maybe, maybe not. i use a b-15 on a lot of gigs and it's 25w, but a bigger cab helps, so i use two 115's with it usually. a 410 should be fine with it.

up to you, bro. i don't think you could go too far wrong if you think it'll give you the sound you want.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    My guess is it'll sound fantastic, but may be a bit shy on volume. Me, I'd pair it with a couple o 15's, but a 410 should do just as well.

4. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
  5. pgk

pgk

Aug 19, 2007
    the larger 75watt head has me drooling...

6. biffoweasel

biffoweasel

Sep 14, 2010
    Olympia, Wa.
    I own the ul 260 model.
    It's a cream puff.
    Cheers

7. evenintheshower

evenintheshower Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    Yes, the Model 260-UL looks terrific. It is $400 more than the Model One, but it does give more power. I am interested in that one, too. It could be the last tube amp I would need.

What is it about the 260-UL that you like, biffoweasel? What do you think about the "Williamson" circuit and the "hi-fi" aspect of the amp?

8. biffoweasel

biffoweasel

Sep 14, 2010
    Olympia, Wa.
    What I like most about the ul 260 is I can get the clean tone I like at full volume, and it's about the most quiet tube amp I've heard.
    It can be dialed in to get a bit more drive to it, but you losed a ultra quiet of the amp.
    I've played the little amp also, but needed a bit more vol..
    The tone is pretty much the same.

9. Rosebud

Rosebud

Jan 3, 2007
    cheers to the Oly crowd, must feel good to have a locally made amp.

10. biffoweasel

biffoweasel

Sep 14, 2010
    Olympia, Wa.
    It is nice to have a good boutique builder near by,
    but Dale also does good repair work.

11. Rosebud

Rosebud

Jan 3, 2007
    you took the word boutique, in a good way right out of my mouth

12. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Inactive

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Personally I gig with a 20 watt Marshall 2061X (handwired tube amp). My main guitarist has been playing a Gretsch Falcon (19 watt 1x12" tube combo). He goes through the PA but I don't even have to to keep up with him with 1x15" cab. We play loud enough for my ears to ring after gigs. Especially if you've got access to a PA, I don't see you needing more.

13. biffoweasel

biffoweasel

Sep 14, 2010
    Olympia, Wa.
    That would be so nice to play with so much less vol.,
    and I have scaled back in recent years.
    With 2 guitars and a BIG drummer it's a bit hard to keep up.
    Wish I didn't have to, and it all takes its toll.
    You are fortunate.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021