1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Old School Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fudgemaster, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Great old amp

88.0%
  2. The perfect tube ported cab

24.0%
  3. The Commonwealth speakers

12.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. IMG_7865.JPG

Benji Fatbass likes this.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    People don't argue that they can't sound great. It's more of an argument about its very limited power handling due to the undersized cab that results in early fartout. If it sounds good for you and does so at a volume you can use, then that's all you have to worry about, but they do have their limitations.

3. Element Zero

Element Zero

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    "Great" is subjective. I don't like Ampeg. Am I wrong?

red_rhino, Munjibunga and fudgemaster like this.
  4. No. . What YOU like is 100% up to you.

I liked my old Bassman 100 I used thru most of the 80s n 90's but I LOVE my Super Bassman (2012 model & 300 all tube watts) it'll do just what the old Bassman did (except maybe get full on power tube drive at a much lower volume ) plus MUCH MUCH more.
    Bottom line. ..if it works for you and YOU like it. .. you're set!

johnpbass and fudgemaster like this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Yes.

:D

6. Element Zero

Element Zero

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    I will concede... 6 Pro through 410HLF was my rig almost a decade ago...

As you can see @fudgemaster, it's up to YOU what sounds good and what doesn't.

fudgemaster likes this.
  7. I know there are a lot of talented young bass players who like modern Funk jazzy tones. Then some of us older guys who still like old school. I noticed a few years ago when my son took me to see CSN in Austin. They sounded great, but I got to comparing the modern band sound to the "old days". Back then it seemed like toned quad sound with guitar bass organ all Driving their amp piles, less relying on PA. Now groups sound like a giant hyper-clean stereophonic system. Guess I like a little raw but smooth. To each his own as you say.

4dog, mpdd, Ed Byrnes and 2 others like this.
  8. I noticed a few years back the Commonwealth were heavy & had the JBL done but were rated down to 50 hertz & their movement was less. After getting the right port size stopping blatant farting, I couldn't believe how thick broad & brilliant the tone of those speakers are in lower mids & upper bass. Guess I could pair with a deeper sub to get best of both worlds.

9. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    This Bassman is a nice sounding 50 watter. They also look way cool. Any old amp needs a bit of work to bring it up to spec. Then stand back and enjoy it.

rodl2005, AstroSonic and fudgemaster like this.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Sheesh! No wonder you said you don't like Ampeg! Back then, the 410hlf was a giant mudbomb! Still goes very low but they've fixed the lack of mids in it a few years ago.

11. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Mill Valley, CA
    Agreed. I'm not really an Ampeg guy, but I've enjoyed the 410hlf's I've played through recently. Massive sounding.

fudgemaster likes this.
  12. J-Bassomatic

J-Bassomatic

Mar 30, 2017
    Canton OH
    Beat me to it!!:laugh:

Element Zero likes this.
  13. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    ha, says the guy who feels as if a 27 watt amp is perfectly gigable :laugh:
    Fender Bassman is as classic sounding an old school bass amp as the Ampeg B15, just depends on what you think of as classic. I was raised up on the Fender tone and it still represents the "classic" old school tone to me.
    It is an honest 50 watt amp and with the right cabinet, like your JBL loaded Commonweath, it sounds just fine. It does clean tones well (up to a point) and breaks up very musically if you want that sound. It will not fill a stadium very well, but hey .. 50 watts :cool:
    enjoy!

14. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    If it looks good, it sounds good. ;)

rodl2005 and fudgemaster like this.
  15. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    Good compared to what? In what setting? Under what conditions?

If all you have is a horse and cart, the model T is an amazing advancement in transportation. Compared to a car built in 2017, the model T may or may not be held in the same regard.

Sartori and fudgemaster like this.
  16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

One unintended consequence of all those newer hifi sounding amps and cabs is they're making people realize just what godawful toneless musicians many bass players actually are. ;)

Half of what passes for "modern bass tone and style" these days makes me want to gag.

17. I remember seeing Heart as well 10 years ago, bass had a Ampeg 8x10" into House. A lot of pounding loud bass but it just didn't sound like Tim Bogert playing through many Dual Showman w/ up to 10x JBL d140's. I was spoiled to that 60's sound, never forgot.

markjazzbassist likes this.
  18. Element Zero

Element Zero

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Examples?

fudgemaster likes this.
  19. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    do you bro, don't care about the opinion of others (most on here don't even play out or record).

i play a 35 watt tube rectified amp made by fender that supposedly should only be used by guitarists. it's paired with a cab that is called "too shallow and not parameter correct" with a speaker jbl d140 that is "too old sounding, modern is better". yet my tone is always complemented, i always have enough volume, and it sounds like an old soul record bass tone.

people spend hundreds and thousands of dollars on outboard gear, plugins, tape effects to get "that vintage sound" when a Sh^tty 300 dollar amp and cab play with SOME MF'ING attitude is all it takes.

read the article "sh(tty is pretty" by gabriel roth (part 1 and 2) from daptone records. its the truth

rodl2005 and fudgemaster like this.
  20. Gaolee

Gaolee It's all about the polyester

I got no comments about what should or shouldn't sound good. Schlepping around an Acoustic 360 that some love and some want no part of does that for me.

nbsipics and fudgemaster like this.