1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Old School Bass

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Lionel Albert, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Lionel Albert

Lionel Albert

Jul 24, 2015
    France
    Hi !
    I would like to know if some of you are old school bass players.

2. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Tonewise, yes, I am, or try to be. Equipmentwise, not so much, though.

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Is that old school or did he just get his polishing chamois stuck under the strings?

Cool...sorta has an upright vibe.

Riis

Lionel Albert likes this.
  4. Lionel Albert

Lionel Albert

Jul 24, 2015
    France
    I don't know, maybe in 2018 the fifth string belongs to the old school tradition, it was so fashionable in the 90's !

I think it sounds more like an upright bass without that sponge.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  5. I grew up I realize now on both sides of the bass string. My mom is a big fan of old Motown, Stax, Muscle Shoals & CCR. My dad is into the Who, the Kinks, and both of them love the Beatles and the Band.

So i use flats. I rarely use rounds.

The dampening under the strings I get. I personally don't use it myself.

But yeah, I do love the old school.

Lionel Albert likes this.
  6. leftyjohn

leftyjohn

Mar 20, 2018
    NW US
    Two basses, 8 strings, too many speakers, and no pedals......
    I am not sure if that is old school or just a minimalist approach to the art.

7. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Sometimes.

8. I'm the same. I might reach for a pedal every once in a blue moon but its all in the fingers for me.

LBS-bass likes this.
  9. My basses are new school, but the player is definitely old school. I have a Hofner Club which is very old school (but not vintage) and I have a 30 year old Crate 1x15 cab with black fuzz. Its kind of shabby chic.

IntelligentWail likes this.
  10. That's cool. Crate any different than now?

I'm running an Ashbory with a Peavy 1x15. Clean. Getting my $ together for a keyboard amp. Right now It sounds very old Motown.

11. Lionel Albert

Lionel Albert

Jul 24, 2015
    France
    I love the sound of a bass plugged into a keyboard amp when there is no drummer.

12. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I get a decent old school sound with my '87 Jazz Bass Special (Japanese). For those of you who don't know, it's the model Duff McKagen of Guns and Roses used. But that's not why I bought it. I was never a G&R fan. It cost $475, new, in '88 when I bought it. I liked that it is a PJ with a P body, but a Jazz neck. And, oh, the neck is wonderful with its 7-1/4" radius and low frets. Beats the hell out of my '01 American Jazz neck for feel. I swear it does. (I don't know why you need medium jumbo frets and a 9-1/2" radius on a bass).

Anyway, I usually use the P pickup, maybe blend in just a tad of the J pickup. It could use some better pups, but they do ok. It's nice to have the P sound with the narrow J nut width. Best of both worlds. I use flats sometimes, too. I just love it.

13. I love flats. The only I noticed about my playing is that my lazy butt has to change the mids on my amp as to not sound like Tommy James and the Shondells.

14. Lionel Albert

Lionel Albert

Jul 24, 2015
    France