Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Old School Bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ebozzz, Oct 26, 2002.

1. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Well, I was taking a trip down memory lane again, as I often do, and the work of one bassist from back in the day has really been exciting me. Who, you say? Gary King. That's right Gary King. Check out Grover Washington Jr.'s Mister Magic. Gary did Earth Tones, the title cut Mister Magic and Black Frost from that disc.

Want more? Check out the Bob James release Touchdown. Gary's on Angela and also the title track Touchdown.

All of it is good stuff for sure but that Earth Tones is Smokin'!

2. BassLand

BassLand

Mar 20, 2000
    Lost Angeles
    I do believe Eric Gale was the bassist for Mr Magic but Gary may have played on other cuts on the album

BL

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Eric Gale played guitar on Mister Magic. Gary played bass on the three tunes that I named and on the fourth track from that release, Passion Flower, Phil Upchurch was the bassist.

4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    of artists that played on Mister Magic. There's some pretty serious people on it.

Mister Magic Performers:

Wayne Andre : Trombone
    Phil Bodner : Sax (Baritone)
    Randy Brecker : Trumpet
    Al Brown : Viola
    Jerry Dodgion : Sax (Tenor)
    Max Ellen : Violin
    Jon Faddis : Flugelhorn, Trumpet
    Eric Gale : Guitar
    Paul Gershman : Violin
    Harry Glickman : Violin
    Bob James : Keyboards, Piano, Piano (Electric)
    Gary King : Bass
    Harold Kohon : Violin
    Harry Lookofsky : Violin
    Ralph MacDonald : Percussion
    Harvey Mason, Sr. : Drums
    Charles McCracken : Cello
    David Nadien : Violin
    Matthew Raimondi : Violin
    Alan Shulman : Cello
    Marvin Stamm : Flugelhorn, Trumpet
    Tony Studd : Trombone (Bass)
    Phil Upchurch : Bass
    The Manny Vardi Strings : Viola
    Grover Washington, Jr. : Sax (Alto), Sax (Soprano), Sax (Tenor), Saxophone

5. BassLand

BassLand

Mar 20, 2000
    Lost Angeles
    I was going from, memory but it looks like you got the list. My error. thanks for the facts

BL

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Back in the day-
    A lot of those musicians cropped up on many a CTI album(the CTI Sound?) ;)

I do recall the very first "Jazz" album I bought with my own cash was a CTI release-
    Bad Benson...the personnel on that had some "serious people", too:
    George Benson-Guitar
    Steve Gadd-Drums
    Ron Carter-Bass
    Kenny Barron-Piano(a lotta Fender Rhodes, if I recall)
    Phil Upchurch-Guitar, electric bass
    Ralph MacDonald-Percussion

I do remember Phil Upchurch's RHYTHM guitar playing on this disc...he's got it down to an art!

BTW, CTI did take some heavy criticism for its glossy production...and cover artwork.

One of my favourite CTI discs is Joe Farrell's Moon Germs...Stanley Clarke, Herbie, & DeJohnette. Not the "usual" CTI fare. Clarke is on upright, Hancock plays mostly Fender Rhodes. Pretty cool & enjoyable music, IMO.
    (This disc is again readily available & can be had for under $10). ;)

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...and now about Gary King.
    Yes, I do dig him; I don't have the Grover stuff, I do have him on many a Bob James recording, though(saw him twice with James back in the day).
    One of my favourite King recording is Tom Scott's New York Connection(Eric Gale does play bass on a couple cuts)...beautiful playing by King on the tile cut.
    I would say King is the first I saw "bend a harmonic".

Another Old Skool guy kinda similar is Robert "Pops" Popwell...check out The Crusaders' Images, Those Southern Knights, & Free As The Wind.

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Gary King definetly had his own tone......I think he played a hollowbody bass........I used to dig the CTI
    sound....I used to call it groove jazz, nothing compared to the wimpy-ass/ happy jazz/ gurly mon jazz that gets airplay today:D

9. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    You have to admit that Gary was groovin' on Earth Tones, right BL? ;) I don't think I've heard any of Eric Gale's bass work. Any suggestions?

10. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    How about the band Stuff....with Eric Gale/ Gordon Edwards/ Cornell Dupree/ Steve Gadd/ Christopher Parker........and the wonderfull Richard Tee. Great band.....I must have saw them 12 times in N.Y.C. back in the old days.

11. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    King is on a lot of Bob James' recordings! Do you think that Bob may have pulled Grover's coattail on Gary? They seem to have a lot more history of working together. You have got to get Mister Magic Jim! It's definitely my favorite of Grover's stuff. For what it's worth, CDNow has it for $9.99

One of my favourite King recording is Tom Scott's New York Connection(Eric Gale does play bass on a couple cuts)...beautiful playing by King on the tile cut.
    I would say King is the first I saw "bend a harmonic".

Another Old Skool guy kinda similar is Robert "Pops" Popwell...check out The Crusaders' Images, Those Southern Knights, & Free As The Wind.

I'm a little sparse on Tom Scott and The Crusaders at the moment. It will be corrected and soon!

12. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks Jerry! I'll check it out. That lineup certainly looks interesting.

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    My only complaint about Stuff-
    Granted, they were the cream-of-the-crop NYC studio musicians...the tunes, though, for the most part, go nowhere. If any band needed a frontline(ie a couple horn players)it was Stuff.

And I get the same feeling when listening to these "Groove" bands that are all the rage today.

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Pocket playing at it's finest, that's Gary. "Black Frost" and "Mister Magic" are great IMO examples of the right notes in the right places. Kind of in the same vein as Willie Weeks' work with Donnie Hathaway..

15. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I just hope that I can develop at least some of that feel. Most of the recent players don't have that type of vibe. It seems to be more about chops than making the song happen. :(

16. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Trust me Ebozzz.......if you listen to those old school players, and take in their use of space and groove......you will get a lot of work. It might not impress slapaholics fellow bassist........but it will impress bandleaders/ singer-songwriters that will hire you;)

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It's been working for me for years;)

18. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I got started at this a lot later than most of you but I've still got time to have a little fun. ;) Since I am the late bloomer, so to speak, I really need to focus on just being a good solid player with a nice feel for the music that I'm playing. The most important thing for me is getting as many opportunities to play as I can. There's a lot of love for the old school players residing in me. Now the plan is to draw something from them to help my growth.

19. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Wrong! Gary played on Passion Flower and Phil did Earth Tones.

20. nativebass.t-40

nativebass.t-40

Oct 29, 2002
    phx a.z.
    the late bernard edwards!!