1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Old-School House Party - 1st Time in Years

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jaywa, Mar 18, 2013.

1. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I've been recruited by a couple of my muso friends to sub for their usual bassist at a house party gig this coming weekend. When they asked me I was kinda surprised cause I didn't know people even threw house parties with live bands anymore. It's just a trio, no gear other than combo amps and a P.A. for vocals only... pay is gonna be a lot less than my usual minimum but we'll get beer and food and be done playing by 9.

I haven't done a gig like this in a LONG time (20+ yrs) but I'm actually looking forward to it. By the time I shed on the tunes, etc. I'll hardly make a dime on the gig but the material is decent and the players are excellent. Beats sitting at home that night which I would have been doing otherwise.

Does anyone else still play house parties on an even semi-regular basis?

2. I play the occasional house party. Never with any one band, always just friends calling me at the last minute. I guess thats what I get for being the guy who didn't go to music school. I always have a blast! However I do have some rules; Never bring your bass amp, use a back up bass, and don't drive. One thing that hasn't changed about house parties is that cops aren't huge fans, and if it's a college party, be ready to get out of there in hurry! That's the last thing anybody needs is guilt by association. It's always fun to cut loose and party, but some people forget that we live in a highly restricted free country and we still have to be able to handle our sh*t lol

Have fun Chief!

3. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Yeah... to be honest I'm always a little weirded out at the thought of showing up at somebody's house who I don't know from Adam, in what may (or may not) be a decent part of town and where there will be people I've never met before and where there is almost certain to be a lot of alcohol (and who knows what else) consumed.

But I'm going with it on this one cause I know one of the other two musicians pretty well (we gig together a few times a year) and I know he has pretty high standards as far as that stuff goes.

4. Nowhereboy

Nowhereboy

Mar 3, 2013
    Ahh man I love house party gigs, fond memories of getting messed up on all sorts of substances and blasting peoples houses down, brilliant! :p

5. Yes, at my house

6. My band hosts a bi annual house party/ show at our drummer & singers (brothers) house called Not Your Average Rock Show. We invite other local bands to play and invite pretty much the whole high school (were juniors) it's always a blast to do.

7. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    House parties with a live band? Heck yeah!

My neighbor two houses over is the bass player in a band called "He is the Painter" which is kind of an Incubus meets Santana thing. I set up my gear, drums, bass rig, a couple of halfstacks and PA. The guys rocked and there was some grooving goin on. The guests enjoyed it and the guys sold a handfull of CDs as well. And just 'cause you're wondering, yes the band got to hang out and enjoy the cookout and drinks.

I also host an annual San Diego Carvin Bash at my place on the 4th of July weekend. A Carvin Bash was an idea sparked by the fact that most people never get a chance to try out their stuff. That being the case, folks outside of California started setting up "Bashes" where people would gather with their Carvin equipment so everyone would have a chance to try stuff out and show off their own stuff. Well I've done two of them. Lots of folks doing the open jam thing, talking gear, and yet again more eating and drinking. Lots of fun.

Live bands at house parties? Yes they still happen from time to time, but you have to have some very understanding neighbors. I usually invite mine well in advance( if they're at the party they wont call the cops), and try to start shutting it down at 9:30pm as it usually takes a bit for people to actually shut it down.

Forum Threads and PICS

San Diego Bash 2010
    http://www.carvinbbs.com/viewtopic.php?t=21501

San Diego Bash 2011
    http://www.carvinbbs.com/viewtopic.php?t=24638

8. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Are these guys playing?

[​IMG]

:bag:

9. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    They're always a good time here! Two weekends ago my band and a buddies band both had Sat night off,so he wanted to have a lil' jam at his place..word got out to the other bands gigging in the area and by 2:30am there were two dozen people from six different bands along with some of their friends,having a GREAT time,pickin'-n-grinnin' until the sun came up..

10. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    RECAP -

This gig happened this past weekend. I was expecting some sort of low rent thing and it was anything but. Clients were a VERY well off and music savvy 60-yr old couple, their friends and family including their uber-hot daughter who had actually hired us. We played in the basement of their very nice house, and before we even started the guy decided to raise our pay by 50% over what we had agreed to. They gave us the run of their bar, great BBQ on break and were a very appreciative audience... In fact when we finished the daughter was already talking about having us back for 4th of July.

Best part of the night... One of the guys there was a retired bass player. We talked shop all night and the end of the night he said he loved my playing and then he slipped a bill in my hand which I pocketed without looking. When I did look I about fell on the floor cause it was $100. Needless to say I split it with the band but I still cant believe that actually happened.

So yeah, it was a good night. :D

11. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    Very good indeed!