1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Old-school L-1000 wedding gift!

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by KsPiNeSh, Sep 16, 2008.

1. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    The short story is that my guitar player manages a music store, and an old (probably 1982) L-1000 came in used, so he bought it and gave it to me as a wedding gift! It's kind of an ugly color IMO, but it sounds incredible! The neck is very thin and straight and the frets are low and smooth - the electronics are even in great shape! :hyper:

Here are some pics:

L-1000002.

L-1000003.

L-1000004.

L-1000005.

L-1000006.

L-1000001.

My favorite wedding gift :)

2. Beautiful. I had a transparent yellowish one. Getting rid of it was a mistake.

3. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    What a beauty! I have one of the early ones as well, may we never part. I used to wonder back then how that blue finish would turn out when it got old enough, and now I have the answer... lovely.. Congrats!

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    serial number makes me think 1982:
    http://www.glguitars.com/chronology/index.asp
    but you never know til you pull the neck.
    1981 should have slot pole pickups, not hex head.

Nice bass! Nice wedding present...is the wife cool with that?

5. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

That's a pretty rare color for those years, I think.

Looks like it's in good shape. I've owned eight or nine Wunkays of that era and many were not as nice as that.....

6. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Great information. The pole pieces do look to be hex, but it's tough to tell as they're dirty. As for the wife, well, I'm a lucky man with a (mostly) understanding female :)

7. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    not hard to tell at all, slot poles are obvious...not very close up in this pic, but see the big screwdriver sized slot?
    car1kfront.

8. GGJaguar

GGJaguar

Jun 15, 2005
    Smooth black h/w and allen head poles would be correct for early-mid 1982. The thing that blows my mind is the Viking Blue finish. It is very rare to find that on anything other the economy model basses (SB-1, SB-2) and guitars (SC-1, SC-2, SC-3).

GG

9. Madcity Fats

Madcity Fats Supporting Member

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    BEST. WEDDING. GIFT. EVER!!!

And yeah, I'd doubt that there are more than handful of 1Ks that color. I've never seen one until now. Very cool.

10. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    It kinda looks like it's been painted that color twice?
    There seems to be a similar color under the chips in the top coat?

11. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Yeah, I'm not really sure what's up with the color. The grain of the wood is very apparent through the finish itself and there is no gloss/clearcoat, so that makes me wonder if it didn't start out as a natural. I have never had a chance to examine an instrument this old before, so that may be perfectly normal for something ~25 years old. There are also some spots of white paint on the finish and even the strings, but I think that was an incidental thing, like someone was careless when painting their house.

It's also got a 3-way rocker switch - is that normal for these? Looking at the G&L schematics for the L-1000 seems to indicate that it should be/started out 2-way. I know they're fairly easy to mod, but again I don't have much experience examining these things.

After looking at that picture, I am happy to confirm that yes, they are hex pole pieces :)

12. dukeplaysbass

3-way swx is correct. It's HB, single coil, and OMG (single coil with bass boost). Find the position that gives you the loudest, most massive tone -- that's the OMG position. Set it there and forget it exists. I never move mine (I have 4 of these basses) from OMG.

Ya, those are the small hex that were used from then until the present. Chef has the "middle" configuration, the "slotted" pole pieces. The earliest ones also have a hex pole piece, but the hex size is bigger. You'll find the so-called "large hex" only on 1980 and early 1981 basses.

If you're looking for an easy way to verify the finish, try taking that control cover off and snapping a picture of the bottom of the cavity -- it it was refinned blue over a natural you might see some evidence there. If it was me, I'd have the thing disassembled (neck from body) and snapping photos of the neck heel and pocket, but not everybody is comfortable with that......

But if it's a refin, it's pretty cool. Maybe even done at the factory. As GGJaguar said, that's a color usually reserved for only a few other axes. And Greg knows more about this stuff than anybody. :D

13. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Interesting... I thought this was perhaps the aged and cloudy version of the transparent blue that was on the very earliest L-1000's. Is that possible? Does anyone else have an aged version of that finish? I always expected it would turn a dark green eventually, not aqua.

14. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Does he have a sister?

15. dukeplaysbass

The trans blue does turn sorta green. Here's a couple pix of an old trans blue L-2000E that went through the Owl Farm a few years back and now lives with my Brother E.....tried to get the ones without the flash so you could see the color more naturally. It's nothing like the OP bass....

IMG_1925.
    IMG_1927.

IMG_1922.

16. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Looks like the early large bore hex poles to me not the post slot to present small ones.

17. dukeplaysbass

You know, rabbit, you might be right.

That's a weird combo then, since the flat black control covers come WELL AFTER the slotted pole pieces start....

18. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    that's what they looked like to me too, bit I'm no expert...

19. GGJaguar

GGJaguar

Jun 15, 2005
    Optical illusion maybe? It has a Pat No cover which is correct for an '82.

GG

20. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    didn't notice yer just over in KC...howdy!