Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Old School Psychedelic Rock Fans

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    We've got plenty of props going to "stoner rock"... but how about THE ORIGINAL Stoner Rock! Psychedelic/Acid rock... whatever you want to call it... it's awesome!

I picked up a pretty rare comp in a used bin for 10 bucks: It's called Psychedelic Microdots, I only got volume one, but it's great. It's Various Artists, bands like We The People, The Brogues, Nobody`s Children, Fenwyck... etc. I listened to this thing for like 4 days straight!

Stuff like Blue Cheer and Early Frank Zappa too... just insanely good.

Any other fans? Bands I should check out?

2. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    NET
    Try these to begin with: Mad River, The Fallen Angels, H.P. Lovecraft. And when you feel about ready, Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band.

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Captain Beyond.

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Hawkwind
    Jefferson Airplane

5. snake

snake

Jul 21, 2004
    Aurora. CO
    Vanilla Fudge, Atomic Rooster

6. +1

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm already a Captain Beefheart/Hawkwind fan, but I'll check out these other bands.

I loate "White Rabbit" by Jefferson Airplane... is the rest of their stuff... not horrible.

8. Electric Prunes, The Seeds, 13th Floor Elevators, Fever Tree, The Stooges, MC5, Blue Cheer, Zombies, Cream, Moody Blues, Early Neil Young, Spirit, and many more that I can't think of . When I first got seriously into music, psychedelic rock was what I was about!

A good compilation is the Nuggets set, Its got some good unknown bands.

9. uuuummmmmm.....Pink Floyd?

10. The Brian Jonestown Massacre

Oh wait, they started doing that stuff in the '80s. So I guess they are not "old school" :smug:

11. snakopolis

snakopolis

Jul 5, 2005
    Hard Meat, Ultimate Spinach

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

They don't count. ;)

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    We The People! My high school chorus teacher was the bassist for We The People! They're a Florida band. I saw them live when I was 6 at some swimming park. Good stuff!

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Are you serious!? They are my favorite band on that comp! Such good tunes.

Out of curiosity... do they still do shows at all?

15. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Dancing madly backwards, on a sea of air...

16. My old boss and I used to give each other ****, because he was an old school punk and metal dude and I was a jazz and prog snob. One day I heard this incredible band on the boom box in my boss' office. It was Captain Beyond. Those guys can play!

17. Oh yeah , forgot about the C.A. Quintet.......... they only put out one album but boy were they ahead of their time. Fans of Wino, St.Vitus, Sabbath , and Withcraft would love these guys. They were making psychedelic doom in the sixties when all other psychedelic music was flower power. Their album, Trip Thru Hell, was the only album of its time to include a "blood curdling scream" as an instrument used frequently through out the album. Great band and very ahead of it's time.......too bad they never did more.

18. Page's list is pretty comprehensive.

Has anyone mentioned Love yet? Or Quicksilver Messenger Service? How about some early Grateful Dead?

Or (this is almost too easy) The Jimi Hendrix Experience?

19. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Skip Spence (from Moby Grape) released a solo album called "Oar" that's just insanely acid-drenched. Crazy stuff.
    It's tough to find but worth it for the weirdness factor.