1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Old School Punch

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by woody357, Apr 12, 2010.

1. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    I want old school punch (the kind you can feel in your chest, not just hear) with today's hi-fi sounding cabinets. What cabinets will give me that without breaking my bank?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    that's a pretty nebulous concept, dude. i've played a lot of stuff that would do it for me, but it may not for you. and with eq, you can get that sound of pretty much any of them. go play some stuff at your local music store and see if any of them strike a chord.

i will say also that vintage ampeg bass cabs are pretty easy and cheap to find and for me they deliver. but who knows if you'll agree?

3. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    I know the the old Ampeg cabinets will get it done, but I am looking for something not as heavy, heck I have my old Acoustic 301 cabinet, but I don't hall that around unless i don't have PA support in a large place or outside gigs.

4. crustychef

crustychef

Apr 4, 2009
    Seattle WA
    Aguilar's punch the poo out of you. Th e DB212 I test was just sick. THe only reason I didn't buy was because it would fit in my small car. http://www.aguilaramp.com/products_cabinets_db212.htm
    I ended up going with a TC RS212 with my GK 700rbII. It came really close and it was much smaller and lighter. I play hard rock competing with a crunchy distorted Les Paul, an amazing keyboardist, drums and tight harmonizing vocals.
    http://www.tcelectronic.com/rs212.asp

5. crustychef

crustychef

Apr 4, 2009
    Seattle WA
    We are very rooted in the 70's classic rock vibe meets grunge meets the Talking Heads. If that gives you and idea of the sound and requirement I'm looking for in an amp/cab set up.

6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    IMHO, as a former owner/lover of a 301, driven with a Marshal Major 200 watt tube head, I can assure you that there is way more of what I call punch (hits you in the Pectus Excavatum, lol) available from modern rigs than the older ones.

EQ that cuts the ~600hz region adds remarkable chest thump, IME.

7. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    do you run only a single 2X12 cab for that gig?

8. crustychef

crustychef

Apr 4, 2009
    Seattle WA
    yes, for now. I plan on picking up a RS 210 as well. It was shocking how much air the TC's moved. I must add that we don't play large venues. Seattle clubs are small compared to a lot of other cities.

9. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Was wondering about your budget...:eyebrow:

10. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    I still have my 370, with the 301, and you know what a pain that can be to lug around. What would you suggest, I'm using a GK800rb head with a Yorkville xc115 cab. i have been looking at Avatars, and GK neo cabinets either going with 2 112s or just getting another 15(GK Neo it looks like my Yorkville)

11. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    TIGHT!!!!!!:crying:

12. crustychef

crustychef

Apr 4, 2009
    Seattle WA
    yeah, I guess they are little spendy. I'm no rich man. I cook for living and live in a 720sqft apartment with my wife. I had to do lay away for them. For me, getting the right tool for the job and fitting my life style is more important the cost for the most part. I'll save forever, sell stuff on craigslist, work a little overtime and do odd jobs to get what I want.

13. thetawaves

thetawaves

Dec 29, 2006
    2111260_f260.

Will that do? :p

To the matter at hand...+1 on the TC, if I could get one I would :) though haven't Acoustic amps started up shop again? Sounds like a winner if they sound good as old.

14. crustychef

crustychef

Apr 4, 2009
    Seattle WA
    lol!

15. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Either of those might work well, but I find that a 4ohm 410 gives me plenty of a "slam," which I augment with an 8 ohm 210 cab when I need more. I have found that lots of power, with little or no EQ on a mid-rich bass like my P/J or my humble MTD Kingston can be darkly punchy, or growly, depending on how I set the onboard EQ and how I touch/play.

I like epifani, eden, swr, avatar, bergantino, acme, and accugroove. IMHO, getting what you want is a process of finding something that is in your price range (I always buy used), and then learning how close you can get to what you want with that gear. I then sell what doesn't work and buy another.

It sounds tedious, but after 6 variants, I think I am almost there. :D