Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Old School punk

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by f'nar f'nar, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Hey guys, I've recently got myself (and my band) into old school punk and rock/metal, not this 'not very good new age Blink 182' kinda stuff. We love the ramones, the misfits, some black sabbath, bit of diamond head.

I was wondering, beaing a young'n must have poisened my mind somewhat, because try as we may, we cannot write songs that sound old school you know? So could some of the more... oldschool members and people who have written songs like this give us a few tips?

If you only want to help the bass thats cool, cause once i get basslines down, thats a start.

Gabba Gabba HEY!

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    a few random thoughts at 6am.

#1 there are no rules.
    #2 the number one rule in punk bass playing is to play with a pick and use all down strokes
    #3 the most important thing you can learn to do is play every single note as if your life depended on it. the music that comes out of your bass should come from your entire body. not just your fingers or your brain.

as for the writing part i'd just suggest listening to as much as you can and NOT locking yourself into anything as you already have. "we do old school punk" isn't a very creative jumping board to start from. just my opinon but you immediately cut out a lot of options like that. aside from that in answer to your question you can try writing things in a real basic format ie. -- intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge chorus--- you can even leave the bridge out of the above. you can say the hell with all structure, find something really important you want to say, write it out and just add whatever music you FEEL would represent it. see number 1 above.

oh yeah... and punk doesn't mean buying all your clothes at hot topic, piercing your face to all hell, and getting a 14 inch mohawk. that's total conformity at this point. punk to me means being your own unique individual self and not giving a flying hoot what anyone else on the planet thinks. flea used to worship anthony keidas when they were kids cuz anthony was cool and flea was not. he asked him about dressing and anthony told him you should only wear things that nobody else would ever wear. :) while that doesn't entirely fit into what I just said i always kinda liked that. i think wearing bermuda shorts, a hawiian shirt, black socks and sneakers is waay more punk than doing the mowhawk thing that's been done billions of times already.

all just my opinion of course. :)

3. Wow, great reply, and fast!

Nah we're not locked into oldschool punk. We have a very wide variety of likes and dislikes in the music world. But thanks for the tips. I also like to think i play with my whole body in everything I play!

As for the clothes, Cliff Burton always said he didnt care about what people thought of him when he wore his clothes, I do the same. I just love to feel comfortable with what im playing in, if people dont like it, they can go to hell :) But yeh, we're not mohawk or anything, we're more like the ramones in looks, long hair, denim, scruffy!

4. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    That's kinda conforming to nonconformity :p

5. So Stiff Little Fingers, Black Flag, DOA, Dead Kennedy's, Misfits, UK Subs, Angelic Upstarts, etc etc etc etc etc...(get the point?) aren't punk because they use fingers, or use up strokes as well?

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    You should spend time listening to all the ol' classics...I find when I start listening to something it rubs off...For my punk classics list I'd have:

Stiff Little Fingers (none better in my book)
    Minor Threat (not my politics but great writing)
    Bad Brains (archetects of modern HC)
    Exploited (simple, catchy, brutal)
    Black Flag/Circle Jerks (all the early stuff)
    Bad Religion (No Control, Against the Grain, Suffer)
    Misfits 'Walk Among Us'

Start takin' those songs apart, and you'll be able to write yer own.

7. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    that's correct. any upstrokes - not punk. no way. they're posers. they're only faking it. in order to play punk music you MUST use ONLY downstrokes. always. see how it works?

8. HunsBassist

HunsBassist

Oct 3, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    That's not what he's saying. It's just the standard style. What if you saw someone playing jazz with a pick. I bet you'd be a little P.O.ed. It's just the standard way of playing the genre.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Steve Swallow plays Jazz with a pick...he does "OK".
    Same, too, for Monk Montgomery.
    ;)

The guy in The Suicide Machines plays Punk with his fingers...he does "OK", too. ;)

If Punk is supposed to be anti-establishment, screw standards, etc.
    ...wouldn't it be 'punker' to play in a non-standard fashion?
    So, why not use the fingers, why not employ nuthin' but upstrokes, etc. It is a conundrum.
    ;)

10. The key to it is to be able to unleash all of your emotions in the song, like for example, anger. If your angry , write the angriest song you can think of. Thats punk, it came from people being pissed off and fed up .

11. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I really hope your kidding cause that mind set goes against the whole "punk to me means being your own unique individual self and not giving a flying hoot what anyone else on the planet thinks." I think in order to live by that you can play however you want, just hit the note, upstrokes, downstrokes, pick, finger, just play how you want.

12. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    :)

in all honesty i never quite got, understood, liked, or wanted to have anything to do with any kind of labeling of music. while I understand it's value (people like different things and want to be able seerch out what they want) it's gooonne soooooooo freaking overboard. i long for the days of rock and disco. the whole i'm more punk than you attitude has always made me leither laugh or want to puke. just be whoever you are and shut up.

the above was not aimed at anyone in this thread by the way. i'm not looking to kick stuff up - just express myself.

13. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I hear ya joe, you gotta do your own thing, as long as your doin what you want and not just playin the scene. From a guy whos plays a bunch of punk venues while wearing his sundays best (well not quite but close) I know that you just gotta do your own thing and not give a f*** what other ppl are sayin.

14. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Not really a GI topic. Where to put it???

Off to Misc.

15. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    If you write what you want/can write, then that's old school punk. If you listen to the Stooges, the Ramones, the Misfits, Black Flag, the Clash, the Buzzcocks etc. They all sound very different, yes they all influenced one another (especially the Ramones
    & Stooges), but the influence was much more "Hey! They're doing weird **** why don't I do weird **** too!" It's ironic to the point of being cliched that doing stuff different is now the norm. I think Japanther is one of, if not the best old-school punk band around now, but they're like that because of their spirit not their sound.

Read Joe's first post 3 times. Then a fourth. Then a fifth.

Then think about it.

If you don't feel you can write about sniffing glue, killing angels, or anarchy in Brixton, then don't. Write what you want.

And get lots of tattoos.

Otherwise you're out of the punk scene.

16. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I IV V, rinse, and repeat.

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    A lot of old school punkers do think you ain't **** if you throw in upstrokes. It isn't as intense.. blah blah blah.

18. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    IMO, So many great punk bands are great because they were influnced by other bands, and realized hey, we could do that too. They then took that mentality and a whole lot of anger and created their own sound. The Ramones an The Stooges alone must be responsable for starting hundreds of bands. My recommendations on bands to check out are: Black Flag (my fav. all time punk band), Bad Brains, The Stooges, Ramones (early stuff), The Clash, The Misfits, Negative Approach, Dead Kennedys, Bad Religion (How could hell be any worse), Minor Threat, The FU's, Reagan Youth, The Dead Boys, Operation Ivy. Alot of those bands fall in the punk/hardcore category, but thats the stuff I really dig.

19. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    the guy in tsm is an animal with his fingers.

20. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    thank god punk is dead.

i hate kids
    and mtv.