Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Old school Rock N Roll grooves

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by WildBill, Nov 28, 2002.

1. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    What are some of your fav Old School (60's- 70's) bass grooves in Rock N Roll?

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Must resist urge to type in funk/RnB songs...

Ramble On - Led Zeppelin
    A ton of King Crimson songs
    Money - Pink Floyd

That's all I've got off the top of my head.

brad cook

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I grew up with rock 'n' roll. I was only about eleven when Bill Haley and his Comets literally rocked the music world (and mine) with the first "white" jump music. His first two big hits were "Rock Around the Clock" and "See You Later Alligator." Haley's predecessors were Big Joe Turner and Big Mama Thornton, both blacks. As bad luck would have it, they received little credit. But listen to their bass lines, too.

The bass was acoustic upright. Those bass lines set the style for many that followed. That was in the early fifties. That's why I can't reconcile the "Old School" attached to 60s and 70s rock, because the real "old school" was earlier. I'd say 50s and 60s. By the mid-sixties, rock took a turn for the edgier and was no longer locked into rock n roll infancy.

As examples, we finally shook off the acoustic folk music of Peter, Paul and Mary and The Kingston Trio and moved to more interesting music from Bob Dylan, The Who, The Rolling Stones and "the British Invasion." The "new" rock, as I will call it, shook my perceptions of music as much as Haley had ten years earlier.

If you want true "Old School" bass lines listen to Jerry Lee Lewis, Duane Eddy, Elvis Presley, Fats Domino, Little Richard, Buddy Holly, Del Shannon, Gene Vincent, Carl Perkins, Chuck Berry among the most influential of the early rockers.

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    One of my favorite early 70's rock & roll players was the late Randy Jo Hobbs from the Johnny & Edgar Winter bands......he played with great groove/taste & tone!

5. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    I liked your response Boplicity very educational, ever since I was 5 years old Ive been listening to Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis Presley, Fats Domino, Little Richard, Buddy Holly,Gene Vincent, Carl Perkins, Chuck Berry. My grandfather gave me a 6 string guitar when I was 10 and said "This will help you understand." and since then Ive never forgotten TRUE "Oldschool".:)

6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

What a nice grandfather you had who would give you a guitar to help you "feel" rock n roll! That is such a great gift.

Rock n roll had its birth in the early to mid fifties, but modern day pop was beginning then too, side-by-side. Such hit makers as Neil Diamond started in the very early sixties. Neil Sedaka, Frankie Avalon, Paul Anka...to name a few. Their basslines are also of interest.

By the way, growing up in the north, As a pre-teen I never had a chance to hear the wonderful music of black musicians who were literally laying the foundations of rock n roll. They did not get radio play in much of the U.S. So the first black oriented music I heard was Bill Haley's. I can't tell you how exciting it was the first time I heard him on radio.

Up to that time, I pretty much disliked "white" music. Doris Day, Johnnie Ray, Rosemary Clooney, Dean Martin, etc. Great performers, mind you, but not what teenagers are aching to hear.

When I heard Haley I realized something wonderful and powerful was out there. Music could offer so much more than lite, easy ballads. Haley paved the way for Elvis, but Elvis gets most of the credit for merging black and white music. His music was much more controversial than anything Haley played, I guess because The KIng acted in a sexy manner just unheard of on TV in those days. Oh, the scandal! He even scared me.

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Don't forget the guy playing bass on Eddie Cochran's; "Nervous Breakdown". And don't leave out "Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps!"

Both of those guys had "built-in" reverb in thier voices.

You can't explain it, you gotta hear it!

8. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    Alot of my family is from the south and the other half is from the north (Upper North America/Canada) So Ive had that 50/50 influence on my musical tastes. Im lucky to have had a great grandfather and had a family with different backrounds and points of veiw of music and how it effects society.

9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I'm going to be honest here, and I hope no one takes it the wrong way, but I don't like double bass in Rock n' Roll. I think upright's great in Bluegrass and Jazz, but I just can't dig it in Rock n' Roll. I think that it sits to low in the mix and doesn't have an aggresive enough tone. I've always thought the Stray Cats would have been much better with electric bass.

10. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    I can agree with you there, thats why I say Rock N Roll 60's-70's rather than 50's early 60's because Rock N Roll means more in your face soundwise and stylewise to me. not that music from the 50's wasnt radical its just thats the way it registers in my mind.