Old school rock?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Ive been listening to more and more old-school stuff lately. Like Cream, the Who, the Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Black Sabbath and so on. What are some good songs from any of the above or any similar artists? Im just looking to expand my horizons I guess. :)
  2. i'd recommend "layla and other assorted love songs" by derek and the dominoes (eric clapton). i just heard the whole thing for the first time, and it's a really solid, great album.
  3. Could anyone recommend any Black Sabbath albums? I saw a live performance of Iron Man on VH1, and it blew my mind! The album you recommend doesn't have to have Iron Man on it, just give your opinion on the best.
  4. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    We Sold Our Souls for Rock n Roll has a lotta good songs on it. I think it has Iron Man.
  5. Erich Zann

Erich Zann

Aug 14, 2000
    I've always loved their first album. It's basicly a realy loud blues album with alot of distortion, and a few early metal songs thrown in.
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I like Paranoid...dark sounding riffs galore("Iron Man" was originally on this album).

If you like Sabbath & 'heavier' '70s Rock, check out Captain Beyond's FIRST (self-titled)album.

Deep Purple's Machine Head is a classic(& so is In Rock...or so Gruffpuppy tells me).

You may like "Peace Frog" by The Doors; a catchy little R&B-ish bass groove from Morrison Hotel.

I would also(as usual), recommend any of Chicago's first 3 albums...those guys(Kath & Cetera)rocked!
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I though Paranoid was a great album. Iron Man was one of the first songs I leaned how to play. I love the timing on that song. Excellent....
  8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    You should definitely be sure to include Led Zeppelin. John Paul Jones is one of my biggest influences, and if you're into "Old School Rock", I think you'll like his bass playing.
  9. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Geezer member here. Here's my list:

Deep Purple - Fireball
    Black Sabbath - Paranoid, Masters of Reality, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    Captain Beyond - abso-frickin-lutely! Still an amazing album
    Alice Cooper - Killer or School's Out
    Humble Pie - Rock On
    Cream - Disraeli Gears (love "Outside Woman Blues") and Wheels of Fire ( "Politician" "Deserted Cities of the Heart" "Crossroads")
    James Gang - Rides Again
    David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders from Mars
    Grand Funk Railroad - the Red album
    Cactus - Restrictions
  10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Sounds like you like the hard stuff. Me too.

In addition to lotsa good reco's above;

Robin Trower - If you like Hendrix, this can't miss; "Bridge of Sighs" album highly reco'd.

Stooges - Fun House is considered by some critics and me as "the perfect rock n' roll album by the perfect rock n' roll band"

Uriah Heep - The band who would have been Deep Purple if there was no Deep Purple. Guitarist Mick Box was hot.

Dust - album of same name. "Loose Goose" is a speedburner instrumental where Kenny Aaronson's bass is the lead instrument. Almost metal before there was metal.

Humble Pie - Rockin the Fillmore (live and LOUD)

Montrose - Bad Motor Scooter, Rock Candy...Sammy Hagar on vocals

Pat Travers Band - Mars Cowlings was vastly under-recognized bassist

MC5 - Kick Out the Jams; overamplified politico-rock

Mountain - Nantucket Sleighride

Rick Derringer - Rock n Roll Hootchie Koo
  11. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Then, let's add these as well:
    Lou Reed - Rock and Roll Animal
    Johnny Winter And - Live
    Blue Oyster Cult - Blue Oyster Cult or Tyranny and Mutation
    Wishbone Ash - Wishbone Ash or New England
  12. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Some of my favorites:
    Allman Brothers-Eat a Peach (or any early album)
    Mountain-Best of
    Cream-Live Vol II
    Johnny Winter-Saints and Sinners
    Johnny Winter-Captured Live
    Johnny Winter-Still Alive and Well
    Led Zeppelin-II
    Robin Trower-Bridge of Sighs
    Beck, Bogert, and Appice
    West, Bruce, and Laing-Why Doncha
    Humble Pie-Smokin
    Edgar Winter White Trash-Roadwork
    Doors-LA Woman
    Jimi Hendrix-Smash Hits
    Chicago-Live album (or any early album)
    Uriah Heep-Magician's Birthday
  13. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'd also like to recommend the Beatles' "Revolver" to the list. Macca does some amazing things on that album
  14. Thanks everyone. Ill be sure and check out as much of that stuff as possible. :)
  15. I saw the Who Live at the Isle of Wight on TV a couple weeks ago. Does anyone happen to know the name of the last song they played? Thanks.
  16. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Man, you guys had the same record collection as me!
    Rockin' The Fillmore, All American Boy, School's Out, Aqualung, Grand Funk, James Gang, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, Johnny Winter And, Montrose, etc...those, sadly, were the good ol' daze(I truly miss 'em, too).

Gotta mention(again) the Captian Beyond album...I recall getting this Christmas '72 along with my first bass & amp. A few years down the road, I let a friend borrow it...he moved to Italy & I never saw the record again. GREAT 3-D-ish COVER!
    When cds came out, I waited & waited for this to appear...finally, about 2-3 years ago, I was re-united with this music. I had worried that maybe it wouldn't be the same('cause it's been 25 years since I had last heard it)...it didn't disappoint. I love Bobby Caldwell's drum intro on "Dancing Madly Backwards"! The way each song segues into the next + the recurring interludes...very cool when listening under the black lights! :D
    Too bad about Captain Beyond's 2nd & 3rd albums, though. ;)

And Revolver is a must-own...a Pop masterpiece(IMO). Don't get me started!
  17. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Man, you ain't kidding! WXRT in Chicago STILL plays "Sufficiently Breathless" from time to time, though. The really sad thing is they were AWFUL live. Talk about a bringdown.
  18. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Jim - I don't know if your area got KAAY, "the mighty 1090" and Clyde Clifford out of Little Rock in the 70's. They used to broadcast all over the place. Growing up in St. Louis, it was the trippers' station of choice.

Anywho, they have a program with good ol' spaceman Clyde where he plays Capt. Beyond, Trout Fishing in America, A. Cooper, Ambrosia, Trapeze, Butterfield Blues Band, the Pie, Spooky Tooth, John Mayall, Dust, James Gang, the Nice, Mott the Hoople, Quicksilver Messenger, Amboy Dukes, Love Sculpture, Velvet Underground, Kula Shaker, Iron Butterfly, King Crimson...all that good stuff.

With the streaming audio nonsense going on, you can't record live off of your PC, so they have an audio download file of each week's program, I think (I already have a lot recorded). Plus, they're on the Clear Channel list to be one of the first stations to get back to streaming audio when the lawyers decide they got fat enough.

Get your bong and click on any of the archived programs here to see their incredible playlists http://beakerstreet.com/archive.htm
  19. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i'm a 70's rock freak!!
    the suggestions are really good. i add a band called Mott the Hoople
  20. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    DOH! Only one of my favorite bands! How could I forget them.

And Foghat's first two releases