Old school Sabbathy sound Cab reccomendation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by djshawn47, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Any reccomendations for a 6x10, 8x10, 4x12 Cab, that when powered by the aggie db680/728 & EBS multidrive pedal set up will give me that old school "Sabbathy" sound? I'm talkin Dirty, filthy, bang your head rock..... Mama's don't let your babies out tonight or they are gonna get converted to the darkside "sound".........

OK maybe that a bit much, but you get the jist!
  2. Sorry about the spelling!
  3. A vintage ampeg 810, or any sealed 412 (Marshall, Hiwatt, or Trace Elliot).
  4. zoran

May 10, 2002
    And get rid off of those modern amps like aggies :D
  5. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    Geezer's sound WAS Ampeg!
  6. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
  7. :spit: Are there any of the newer High end cabinets that would compare (somewhat).....

Or should i say of all the high end cabs on the market today, whcih would give me the closest sound to the Old Ampeg sound....

ZORAN- Ill give those Aggies to you, all I ask is that you pay the shipping! =) Ha Ha Ha...............Yeah right! :spit:
  8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Bergantino NV 610 is a popular alternative to the Ampeg 810. Im starting to want one now... :)
  9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Why would you want to force a new Hi-end cabinet to sound like an old formerly-high-end cabinet? Why not just get an old-school design cabinet and get the tone naturally rather than trying to force the response out of newer, more hi-fi gear?

I guess you'd need a sealed box with no tweeter....like the NV-610 or for something smaller, an Ampeg SVT-410HE and turn the tweeter off. I understand that those sealed boxes have the same woofers as an SVT-810.
  10. I just wanted to know if there were other Cabs that have that old school sound besides the Ampeg.......I know I can go with an Ampeg but...i was also wanting to check out alternatives...I guess the NV-610 is another option...and i had that one on the brain....
  11. I rather thought that Geezer's sound was originally Marshall stacks and then Ampeg more recently.

If you want that sound then you want what I use, a Marshall VBA 400 and two 4x12s. Oh God you get that sound, it hits you in the chest. and makes you smirk all night because you know that you can tweak the amp a little more and blow the hell out of your guitarist ! Ha !

12. I also heard good things about it!!! I'm planning on gettng one...
  13. First, not everyone would agree that it's the darkside to which Sabbath converts. But that's for another thread.

To answer your question though (and to further what Stu suggests) Geezer seemed to play Laneys and Marshalls early on and in the studio. And prolly not "bass" versions as I don't think either existed at that time. Most pics I've seen (studio and live) show him plugged into Laney heads and cabs that look just like Iommi's.

Much of the time (but not always) when people say "the Geezer sound" they are referring to the earliest recordings which were completed before 1972. I personally believe that this precludes the SVT w/810 from being part of that sound (at least on Black Sabbath).

I believe that his sound would be best gotten via plugging a P-bass into a Laney guitar head with a Marshall 4x12. Because of this you may be better postioned to get the sound with your hi-fi set-up vs. someone with an SVT. Maybe I'm grabbin' at straws there a little.