Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Old school sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wild Bill, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    I was just listening to some MotorHead and Probot, and Ive always loved Lemmys sound. its slightly distorted and agressive. I was wondering how I could get close to that sound without having to buy a Ric or getting a $100+ pedal.
    I have a Fender combo amp with a nice eq, I was thinking maybe if I change the settings on that I might be able to get it.
    any help from you bass masters would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    -Bill

p.s. if this is the wrong category, Im sorry.

2. Well, i can tell you that Lemmy used Ric's with a T-bird pickups in the necks for years before his sig came out.

You could always go on a hunt to find an old clone and modify it with a t-bird pickup.
    Lemmy doesnt use effects either...he runs straight into the Marshall.

I dunno how you can achieve a tone similar without having a similar setup to be honest.

3. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Yeah Lemmy's tone is pretty unreal. Very mid heavy.

4. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    yeah its all about the Marshalls! :bassist:

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    ELEVEN

6. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    Well I play an American Jazz Bass and I figure if I turn my mids and lows way up and the highs half as um high then I could come close and Ive been Gassing for a ric for a while so Im probably gonna get one anyway. I didnt know he played out of marshalls.
    Eleven indeed
    -Billy