Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Old school stack....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 76Tbird, Mar 19, 2003.

1. 76Tbird

76Tbird

Mar 18, 2003
    Has anyone ever heard of "Acoustic" brand bass amps? I currently own one of their stacks...its great, lots of power and i'm happy with the sound...I'm pretty sure it was made in the late 70's.
    I just want to find some more info on them..thanks in advance.

2. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Jaco used em.

3. Jaco only needed 4!!

Matthew

4. Sure have. At one time they were the amp to own, and I'd still rather hear bass coming from a 360 or 370 cab than out of the PA.

5. You are my hero. :)

6. I've heard some old Acoustic gear that sounded bigger than all-get-out!!!! Wish I had one of their rigs as an alternate / something different.:)

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My first "real" bass amp was an Acoustic 150 head thru the 301 folded cab. I then got a 360/361 stack (very cool!), and also owned a 370 head for awhile because it was lighter than an SVT. I decided to sell the 370 and keep the SVT, but the 370 was also a cool head. The graphic EQ was unorthodox... IIRC, it was voiced at 50, 100, 200, 300, and 400 Hz... but it was still very useful.

8. 76Tbird

76Tbird

Mar 18, 2003
    Thanks guys. Jaco used thier amps? coooool. it does sound huge too. The actual model numbers of my stack are: Model 220 head and a Model 402 2x15 cab. Does anyone know where I can get a footswitch for it? It was apparently lost...The lowest frequency slider on the eq no longer works either. oh well I still have a separate EQ...thanks for the info guys, and keep it coming!:D

9. Where can I find a 360/361 for sale?

I've never actually seen these amps. I even think that nobody in Brazil plays through one!

10. Mikerw

Mikerw

Mar 14, 2003
    If any of you are really interested in old Acoustic amps, check out the unofficial Acoustic Control Corporation web site at the following address:

http://acousticpage.crosswinds.net/

I personally own 2 360/361 stacks and to me there is no sound like the ones these produce.

By the way this particular stack, the 360/361, was Jaco's favorite and in fact preferred to use this over many of the newer amps that Acoustic built over time.