Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KPJ, Aug 15, 2005.

1. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Here is a rig worthy of the mid 70's! Acoustic 450 head with an Acoustic 301 cab. The 301 is the non-powered version of the 361, so that means it is a reverse mounted 18" folded horn. Can you say loud? Oh, and with a humbucker equipped active bass, it is quiet! Just had the 301 delivered today. It will make it to special gigs, but it will most likely hang at home, too many stairs to get it in and out of the house!

2. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    that rig looks AWESOME!
  3. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Thanks! It is also awesome in tone (unlees you're looking for a hi-fi or transparent sound) and bulk! It actually is very easy to manuever on flat surfaces. It tilts back nicely on its wheels and you can spin it into position easily. It's like dancing with a hippo! Lifting it and moving it up and down stairs, that's another story! (Oh my back!)
  4. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

I feel good for ya. Congrats!

Wesley R.
  5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    If you want to 'upgrade' the sound you can mount an Eminence Alpha-8MR coaxially in the upper horn mouth. The closed back A-8MR doesn't need an enclosure and could be suspended in the mouth via aluminum bars that could be painted black for invisibility. With a high pass filter at 800 Hz it would fill in nicely what the 18 can't give.
  6. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Thanks, Bill. I will have to look into that addition.
  7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Actually if you want a serious upgrade. Add an old style SVT bin. I had a 450 loaner head once upon a time and on top of my old fridge ... it was nothing short of frightening ... talk about fast and punchy...

Boy that baby blue takes me back!