old seymore duncans.....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by zender976, Aug 28, 2000.

1. zender976

Aug 12, 2000
    sup fellas...anyways i have a trivia question for you guys, anybody remember an older model of seymore duncan active j-bass pickups the have 3 little white switches on them? well if you do please let me know what the heck those little switches do!!! they probably configure the pickups from series to parallel but i wanna know for sure. any input would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    They're called Seymour Duncan Active E.Q. Bass pickups. They are supposed to produce a very clean sound. They have a small preamp built inside the pickup. The 3 switches shift the resonant frequency so you can vary the tone of the pickup. These pickups are/were(?) available in P and J styles. I've never tried them - I would rather twist tone knobs over trying to flip tiny switches.
  3. zender976

Aug 12, 2000
    thanks slater!!! i'm totally with you i'd rather fiddle with knobs than these tiny little switches but my bass just came equipped with them...they do sound cool though!
  4. maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I have those pickups on my APB-4 fernandes. It came with the original FGI-pickups (I think FGI is the name) but I changed them and the Semour Duncans sound great...could have something to do with the bass sounding awesome before aswell :) I haven't tried any other replacement pickups..but I would recommend these to anyone. I have one p and one j on my fernandes they work as slater discribed.
    But you can alter the sound with the tone control aswell.
    Feel free to ask me anything about them. I had them on my bass for three years.