Old skool amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ch scribbles, Dec 30, 2001.

1. I just got a 1972 acoutsic amp, (acoustic is the brand name, not the type). Its a 301 cab with a big ass 18" speaker, & a 140 acoustic head, totaling the watts to 200. The bin is in great shape, & hasn't been played since 1976. I payed $500 canadian for it, do you believe it was worth it?? Whats your input on acoustic amps?? t

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

You would probably get better response from this if it was in the Amps forum. I am moving it there.

3. pfunk

pfunk

Dec 29, 2001
    those 301 cabs are great for large/outdoor shows. i've got one with the matching 370 head in my practice space and it gets real boomy. i usually use my 1x15 in the practice space. great sound, though. solid, reliable amps. they used to be one of the best in the 70's.

4. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    and also "Jaco played these"...

can you beat this one? ;)

5. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    i was just gonna say that :p

6. So did J.P.J., and Traffic, and I think Noel Redding & John E.

7. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    doesnt he play SWR now?

[​IMG]

8. nikofthehill

nikofthehill

Jul 30, 2001
    san jose, CA
    my bass teacher owns a 301, and a 370 head (350 watts i think). he uses it for bands that come in to record at his studio. really really earth-shakingly loud. so loud it makes my balls hurt. i would like very much to own of these myself...:) nice equipment, even when compared to some of the newer stuff.
    -nik

9. Yup. But he played Acoustic 371s in stadium size arenas in the early 70s when SWR was still playing in the sandbox.

I went to see him play last year in a small (300) club. He did his "Zooma" record and used a Manson 12, 10, 4, and Bass lap steel.

Andy Manson went on tour with him.