Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Old skool amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ch scribbles, Dec 30, 2001.

1. I just got a 1972 acoutsic amp, (acoustic is the brand name, not the type). Its a 301 cab with a big ass 18" speaker, & a 140 acoustic head, totaling the watts to 200. The bin is in great shape, & hasn't been played since 1976. I payed $500 canadian for it, do you believe it was worth it?? Whats your input on acoustic amps?? t

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You would probably get better response from this if it was in the Amps forum. I am moving it there.

3. pfunk

pfunk

Dec 29, 2001
    those 301 cabs are great for large/outdoor shows. i've got one with the matching 370 head in my practice space and it gets real boomy. i usually use my 1x15 in the practice space. great sound, though. solid, reliable amps. they used to be one of the best in the 70's.

4. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    and also "Jaco played these"...

can you beat this one? ;)

5. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    i was just gonna say that :p

6. So did J.P.J., and Traffic, and I think Noel Redding & John E.

7. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    doesnt he play SWR now?

[​IMG]

8. nikofthehill

nikofthehill

Jul 30, 2001
    san jose, CA
    my bass teacher owns a 301, and a 370 head (350 watts i think). he uses it for bands that come in to record at his studio. really really earth-shakingly loud. so loud it makes my balls hurt. i would like very much to own of these myself...:) nice equipment, even when compared to some of the newer stuff.
    -nik

9. Yup. But he played Acoustic 371s in stadium size arenas in the early 70s when SWR was still playing in the sandbox.

I went to see him play last year in a small (300) club. He did his "Zooma" record and used a Manson 12, 10, 4, and Bass lap steel.

Andy Manson went on tour with him.