1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Old speaker in new cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JKT, Sep 5, 2008.

1. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    Opinions wanted here.

I have had this old Thiele cab for 20 plus years now. It is my extra cab for outdoor shows. I love the pseaker but that's maybe just because it is still around, takes whatever I put into it and seems to sound good. It is an old 400watt 15" EVM driver.

Anyone think It would sound better in a more modern cab?

Discuss...

JKT

2. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Nobody wants to talk about my old speaker? :crying:

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You're asking the wrong question. If the question was will my old cab work better with a modern driver the answer would be yes. As good as they once were the EVM is woefully obsolete in every way.

4. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    OK OK. I'll bite. Not sure what a more "modern" cabinet would mean. You're Theile cabinet is basically a ported / reflex cabinet. There wouldn't be anything different in a "modern" cabinet in that regard. The only possiblity is if the tuning can be improved (adjusting the port size / length). If the cabinet is in good shape, is solidly built, there isn't much a different cabinet would to to improve things. However, there are now better and/or lighter drivers (e.g. neodymium )available that would contribute more to a performance increase. But that might also probably require a new cabinet or tuning. If you like the cabinet there's no reason to get a new one for the same driver. You could add more bracing and make sure that there is enough acoustic padding on all the panels (if not already there) which would help smooth out the midrange.

5. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Well I know it's heavy. In what other ways were you thinking "woefully"?

JKT

6. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    It was one pro-built by a sound company back in the day. Solid construction. I mean drop it off the back of the truck solid. Has the padding on the inside back like most did.
    Do you think padding the sides would help it? It seriously isn't a bad sounding cab the way it is IMO.

JKT

7. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Enjoy your old cabinet! Our guitar playing bretheren sing the praises of their 40 year old Celestions and Jensens but we bass players fret over our vintage treasures. You have a great speaker in a sweet cab. The ceramic magnet bass speakers of today aren't much different from the ones of the past, other than some with Kevlar impregnated cones and a few minor tweaks here and there. If the tone is there. I say play it until it actually does blow someday, but hey that could be in another 10 or 20 years. You have a great cab, enjoy it.

8. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    that cab (tl606) was designed by ev as well as the speaker. it is pretty much as good as it gets for that driver. the only significant upgrade would be a new driver. an eminence kappalite would be a sizable upgrade. it would cost less and be much easier, especially when you figure in the resale of the ev15. and you'll save 20 pounds or so.

9. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    Additional padding might help, but the difference might not be very noticeable. However, it's cheap enough to do if you feel like trying an experiment. Just enjoy it. :bassist:

10. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    I'm surprised that you don't have problems with the EVM

I have a couple in TL606 boxes, and I can make them overload and the coil hits the keeper plate.

It makes a really ugly smacking sound.

If you don't try playing a lot of low bass through them they are fine, but they have a very small xmax

Good for upper mid bass.

11. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Hmmm. Never heard of that happening. It seems as though I would have heard something like that if it were happening with this one.

In terms of low end, I'm a scooped kind of guy and my Barker does produce a lot of low-end but it's not like I run it as a sub woofer or anything. Maybe I've never crossed that line.

JKT

12. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    In terms of low frequency output it will only handle 1/6 the power that the best of today's fifteens will, while there are many twelves that will beat its midrange response and dispersion while equalling its low frequency output. And they all weigh less than half as much.

13. Jonesy

Jonesy

Feb 21, 2006
    UNSUBSCRIBE!!!!;-)
    Sure, The EVM is old design but they still sound great IMHO. They have a certain something...