1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

old spectors question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mcapote, Jan 27, 2012.

1. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    ok granted ive only played spector for about 3 years so i dont know alot about their history.

I was at a blues jam night last night and one of the guys had a spector. basically body looked like a legend custom 4, but had a pj in it. was like a blue/black mix kinda in the style of my black cherry but blue instead of red. had dot inlays in the neck exactly like my legend custom not the fancy ones the high ends carry. The guy said it was a custom made ns2 he got 28 years ago from stuart spector himself. Does that add up? For some reason i thought all the old brooklyn ns2 had the fancy inlay but i might be wrong so i figured i would ask the guys who know about old spectors, im just curious if the guy was blowing smoke up my butt or not.

2. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    Could be, all US basses as custom made so anything is possible. I would think it should have had a bad ass bridge if it was that vintage as well ( std bridges were out in 85 or so I think). I haven't seen any blue fade's from that era though, only solid colors and amber burst.

The early euro basses (NS4/5CR's) had the same type finish ( blue was popular), 4 strings came a P/J and they had dots. The crowns came in later about the time 35" scale did as well. Great basses, most wanted the Crown inlays though.

3. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    like this one:

Attached Files:

4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
  5. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    it looked like grendle's pic, and he said it was a ns2 from 28 years ago, so I had mentioned euro to him and he said ohh them are the ones that came out years later. then he went on to say his bass is worth about $5k now at which point i changed the subject and walked away cause I wasnt sure about him. i guess i need to see the brdge better

6. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    That sounds about right, never seen a blue fade brooklyn though.

7. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    The Korean NS2As had dot inlays and had PJ pickup for while.

8. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    he specifically said US made spector NS-2 that stuart made for him personally. So anything other than US made he lied so thats what im trying to find out if they made a NS2 US made with dots and blue fade

9. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Stuart could have made any color someone wanted...and he probably did. My friend bought two of these early dot neck Brooklyn NS2. They're roughly ~2500

10. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    The only thing that makes me wonder is that about 30 years ago Spector had sold the brand to Kramer, and US production was in Neptune, NJ. They quickly went Korean, if I remember. I suggest you go to VintageKramer.com and look at some of the catalogues from 30 years ago and see if what you saw pops up.

11. TRichardsbass

Jun 3, 2009
    Just checked the catalogue, that color WAS available in the Kramer Era 1987 and 1988 catalogue...with dot inlays....

12. $5k?:eyebrow:

13. TRichardsbass

Jun 3, 2009
    Not if its a Kramer era...

14. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    reading your link looks like NS-2A and 2B had a blue stain and dots. NS-2 had crown inlay and not a blue option. the NS2A though doesnt look like this black and blue its more of a solid color. So in the ned who knows, spending too much time on something that really doesnt matter i guess anyways LOL.

15. My 1989 Kramer era Spector NS-2 has dots.