Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

old squier appreciation society

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Jul 24, 2001.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i found a great bass! it's a japanese squier jazz bass circa'82. it's sunburst with tortoise shell pickguard and rosewood fingerboard. i tried it and compared with a marcus miller, a sting MIJ precision signature, another great old squier precison in fiesta red, a 78 HEAVY usa precision, an usa standard jazz, an american vintage '62 reissue and a MIM jazz. the squier is marketed as squier jazz bass made in japan by fender and on the metal square that sey the neck and the bridge is stamped jv, japanese vintage, i believe. the model is a 62 reissue. believe it or not the squier sounds better that the other ones, much better. the usa reissue was the only one able to beat the squier with the neck pickup open, but the bridge pickup was better on the squier. what a great bass!! i ended buying the squire not only for the unbeliavable tone and neck but even for the price!
    someone own or play an old japanese squier?
    tell me your opinion on these basses!!

2. I picked up a Korean Squier Jazz for cheap in a pawn shop, and it plays great! I dropped in some Dimarzio pickups, and the thing sounds and plays wonderful. Total investment, a little over $200. Can't beat that. It's the one in the middle of the picture.

Chris

[​IMG]

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    do you know if i can date the japanese squier? i have a code on the back of the bass. if i'll post it could someone help me?

4. Hey, I know the Squiers you mean. The very first one's were really amzing instruments.

My old schoolmate, Terry Gowan (yes, Lawrence's brother and live bass player) had one and it was one of the best Fender basses I've ever played.

I think they did a real nice job on the first ones to make a favourable impression. Too bad they didn't stay that great.

5. Yes. I have an '83 Squier JV series jazz bass, and it is marvellous. It's the second JV bass I have had...the first was an '82 P, which I stupidly sold. Very stupidly.

Here's a pic of the P.

[​IMG]

The JV series squiers are identical, I believe, to the MIJ Fendrs of the time. They were made between 1982-84. The difference is one of name only. The Fender logo basses went to the states, the Squier logo basses to the world market.

Basswood bodies, lovely necks and generally excellent instruments.

6. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Barroso,
    If you post that serial, I can find the date for you.

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    jv86335

this jazz bass is truly amazing, guys!! if only i had the money for that fiesta red presicion too...

thanks for the help in dating, Paul A, really appreciated

8. It was made sometime from 1982-1984

9. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    ... I have a Squier Strat I bought new in '84. I'll have to see if I can find out where I got it, but a web page I once found said my serial number was from '83. I'll have to see if I can track that down again.

When I bought it I couldn't tell why a real Fender (the US made ones at the time) was more than double the price of this one so I bought it. The salesman told me this was a better guitar and therefore a much better deal, but I was a stupid college student then and figured he was just blowing smoke to make sure he got the sale. Over the last few years I got back into playing again and I've had a few salespeople and guitar techs talk me out of trading it and others ask if I'm interested in selling.

It's a really nice guitar, let alone for the price. The only problem I had was a scratchy switch and volume pot. Since I was thinking about replacing the pickups anyway I ended replacing all the electronics. Now I absolutely love it.

10. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hi,
    A buddy of mine who works for Fender here in the U.K. did some digging around, and from that serial no. dates it to 1982.

11. The Squier JV series have a pencilled in neck date, just like the old 50s Fenders. Take the neck off, and you will find precisely when it was made.

12. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i'll do it! Andy. and another thing i wanna do is try a set of flatwound on this squier jazz. and the hunt for a MIJ squier precision is open too!!
    i use the jazz both for studying and playing with the band and i have no regret about it! really wonderful instrument!

13. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    Not that I'm much of an authority on basses that are older than I am, but that P looks very cool Andy.

14. It was. I still can't believe I was stupid enough to sell it...

15. Dadio

Dadio

Dec 30, 2000
    Uxbridge, Canada
    Hi guys, I'm also a fan of the JV Squiers, here's a photo of my 1983 Squier '62 Precision (JV Serial #) ..... Believe it or not I found it last month in a little music store in Prince Edward Island, BRAND NEW with the tags! It was in the stockroom of the store for 20 years !!. Wow what a bass !

16. Very, very nice looking bass! How much did is set you back? A NOS JV.....what next?

17. That's a very nice sunburst finish. I recently saw a Squier Strat that was made in Mexico. This threw me a bit, 'cos I did'nt know that such beasts existed.

18. Dadio

Dadio

Dec 30, 2000
    Uxbridge, Canada
    Hi Andy, it was $535 Canadian, including tax, that's
    about $395 US. BTW the store also has Brand new 1978 Fender Jazz Basses in stock as well, although left hand. An old guy was running the store and was a bit eccentric .... had old stuff he never put on display. I'm really pleased with the Squier. I like the P in your photo - Is that the '57? I did the same thing - I originally had an '83 JV P then sold it about 10 years ago. Then I found this one ....

19. I think you god a GREAT bass at a reasonable price. Congrats.

I have no idea what sort of model mine was other than being a JV. It had a maple neck and also the extended polepiece under the A string. No anodized pickguard though. I guess it's like a 57.

20. What is the difference between a Fender Squire basses and there low cost MIM Basses? Are they made of Plywood or something?