1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Old Squire...Fender Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TrueBone, Oct 23, 2010.

1. TrueBone

TrueBone

Oct 23, 2010
    I want to buy an American made Fender Precision or a G&L but just don't have the money. I have found a great old Fender Squire Precision that is one of the really old good ones. It says Fender in big letters then at the top in small letters it says Squire. Made in Mexico and these were the better Squires in my opinion.
    Can I buy a Precision or Jazz neck made by Fender and it fit on this old Fender Squire? I know a guy with a Precision body and a Jazz neck, but didn't know if you could do this with this old Squire.
    Can someone help me? It is much appreciated.

2. Tusec

Tusec

Jan 10, 2010
    In theory a replacement neck should fit since all Fenders use the same heel dimensions and screw hole pattern.

I don't think the old Mexican Squiers are very highly regarded. When people talk about the good old Squiers they usually mean the ones from the early 80s that were made in Japan and are truly excellent. As a general rule I'd steer clear of any Mexican Fender made earlier than about 2000.

3. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sounds like you may have one of those black label Fenders, with "Squier Series" up at the end of the headstock. If you Google 'Black Label Fenders', you can learn a bit about them. Allegedly from what I could find out, they're American bodies and necks that were shipped down to Ensenada for assembly with cheaper electronics and hardware. (This was only done for a few years...mid 90's IIRC.) Technically it IS a Fender, not a Squier, as the 'series' was used merely to designate these non-standard combinations of parts.

That's what mine is, a '94 P, and I may have lucked out because it is one of the most comfortable basses I've owned. Everything is solid, and neither the electronics nor the hardware have given me any issues at all. If I could find another one I'd snap it up in a heartbeat.

4. but remember those old american necks in the early 90s were about he same quality as the mims we have around now,i owned an ameircan jp 90 and the neck was exactly the same as a mim fender jazz i had around

5. twobit

twobit

Nov 3, 2005
    Allen, Texas
    I've got one of these and I really like it. I'd buy another one if it was cheap enough.

6. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    If you're budget strapped, you can't go wrong with the newer Squier Vintage Modifieds and Classic Vibe series, they're excellent and under $300.