Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Old St George Violin

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rpalodi, Feb 3, 2001.

1. rpalodi

rpalodi

Feb 3, 2001
    Novice guitarist(2yrs now), just picked up a St George Violin Bass ($100). Maybe I was taken, I'm not sure, but does anyone know where I can find info and purchase matching parts or Hofner parts. Being a visual artist I couldn't pass it up. It looks great, sounds ok, but needs some work. There is a stress fracture on the neck near one of the tuners. If I drill and put a rod in to support the wood what gauge rod and what type of glue should be used. If this doesn't work, where could I find a matching or Hofner neck? Any advice is truly appreciated.

2. You're probably out of luck looking for replacement hardware as an aftermarket item. But perhaps Hofner could help in some way.

The stress fracture at the head is not an unusual thing. I wouldn't put a rod in there. After disassembling the headstock hardware, try flowing in some CA (cyanoacrylate) glue - super glue - into the crack. That will seal it and keep in from growing.

If you have further questions of this nature, try posting in the "Setup" forum. You'll likely get a few more responses.