1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Old string ID (with pic)

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by stefaniw80401, Oct 15, 2013.

1. stefaniw80401

stefaniw80401 Supporting Member

May 18, 2004
    Evergreen, Colorado
    Anyone recognize these strings? They are round wound with brass spools and red silks on both ends. Are these "red-o-rays", or Lycon? Image attached.

Attached Files:

2. Super-Sensitive Sensicores.

3. Not Sensicores! Wrong ball end and wrong colour. Sensicores are synthetic core and these are solid steel core.

I think I have seen this kind of strings with these ball ends somewhere, but I cannot remember where. Probably cheap asian strings. I just checked the factory strings of my Stagg EDB, silk colours are the same but the ball end is different.

A lot of cheap asian strings mimic the Thomastic Spirocore Mittel red/red silk colours. Some even the Thomastik ball ends (but smaller).

4. D'oh! You're right, they're not Sensicores. What I tried to say was they look like the steel core Red Label set to me. Sorry about that.

5. stefaniw80401

May 18, 2004
    Evergreen, Colorado
    Yes, I think they are steel core, because they are thin ... that is wound gut core strings are thicker.

Besides the distinctive ball ends, the key feature is that they are all round wound, including the G-string.

6. Just a guess, but aren't the standard (not the traditional) NS Design strings for their EUBs roundwound strings?

7. stefaniw80401

May 18, 2004
    Evergreen, Colorado
    So is that it? These strings are NS round-wound EUB strings?

8. I don't really know if they are, but the only roundwound double bass string I know are either the NS strings (with a steel core) or silver or copper wound gut core strings (which they are not).

But it is absolutely possible that some (asian?) company usually making guitar and bass guitar strings tries to make roundwound double bass strings as longer bass guitar strings, roundwound (or flatwound).