1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Old strings: flatwounds good/roundwound bad?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lefty Geek, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Lefty Geek

Lefty Geek

Feb 13, 2006
    NYC
    I am a guitar player that switched over to the bottom end. The first bass I purchased was a used MIM Fender Standard Jazz Bass that had flatwounds. The type of music I play is rock (just to apply a very generic classification). I never cared the "boominess" of the sound, and some have suggested I try roundwounds for my style of music. Since I am left-handed and I just can't try different basses, I decided to get another bass to A/B them.

Last week I got a G&L LB-100 which is a P-style bass. The bass was in perfect condition, but the strings felt really old. I would never keep strings on my guitars looking like that. Tried the bass during band rehearsal, and it still didn't have that "zing" I was looking for. I know bass players love old strings, but that's only when it comes to flatwounds, correct? I have some string cleaner that I never used, maybe I will give it a shot.

Of course, since I am new to bass playing, most of my tone issues come from being a newbie and also not knowing how to set the amp EQ.

2. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    I'm a flatwound player and I like them old, but I believe most roundwound users replace them pretty soon, most of them never keep them more than 6 months and many of them don't keep them more than 2 weeks. I keep mine till they break, which takes years.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I prefer old strings on all my basses, flatwound or round. But I'm careful to keep my hands clean when I play so my strings don't get nasty and grimey.

4. I prefer to have old strings myself personally (rotosound Swing bass) so theres no "clack" when I'm playing with nails... - they sound nice and clanky when they're new - get some on Ebay and you'll see wha I mean! (you need new strings if you want zing but haven't got it already - I'm guessing these strings were on the bass when you bought it? - buy some new ones...they may be expensive, but it'll be worth it and you'll hear a HUGE improvement tonally!):cool:

5. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I play flats for three reasons:

1. Set and forget tuning
    2. String life
    3. Killer tone

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Get some rounds. Some fresh ones. That will give you that fresh zing.