Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

old strings=low action with dead sound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by frankencow150, Dec 15, 2001.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Alot of you people may know that I've been whining about my high action for along time.Well I kind of got tired of my flatwounds,so I decided to put my old strings that came with my squier.I have SUPER LOW ACTION!Hallelugah!Finally!It feels like a dream come true.But the sound is so horrible,they sound like theyve been slaughtered like cows.:p

With Christmas money I'm gonna get some new strings.I've heard that the factory strings are called Super Bass Strings.Are there any companies that make good "super" strings.I've only found Fender ones,just wondering if they're are any better ones for around 20.When I say better I mean that they'll last longer without going dead.

I think that the strings are dead because theyre Squier,more than 9 months old,and they've just been sitting around for a few months.Am i right?

Ok thanks.If you can reccomend some good super strings.

2. Try Ernie Ball strings. I use them on my Fender and I have no complaints. What are the gauges for the Fender's "Super"?

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    The reason your action is so lousy with the flatwounds is probably because they have higher tension than the roundwounds your bass came with. I looked at your profile, and it says you are playing a Squier P bass. This bass probably came with Fender 7250 ML "Super Bass" strings, which are gauged .045-.100, which is pretty light. If you want to keep using the flats, you can have your neck adjusted so that you will get good action with them. Or, you can get some .045-.100 nickel roundwounds, either Fender or some other brand, and your bass will probably sound and play like it did when it was new. The Fenders are available all over the place, usually at a pretty good price. Like I_am_Rage says, Ernie Ball Slinkys are pretty good strings, too. The "super" thing is just a brand name; the defining feature of the original strings is that they are nickel roundwounds.

www.juststrings.com has Fender 7250ML's for $15.73, which is pretty cheap for good bass strings. They have the Ernie Ball Super Slinky (same gauge, also nickel roundwounds) for $19.20, which seems a little high. They have D'Addario XL's in the same gauge for $16.13, again not too bad. Any of these should work, if you liked the sound and feel your bass had originally. Just Strings charges $4.50 for shipping, so you could probably do at least as well at your local Guitar Center/Sam Ash/Mars. If you have a GC locally, check the prices at Musicians Friend. GC should match them, since they're the same outfit.

4. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    yeah i don't want to buy them off the internet because shipping will just end up making it $5 more than i'll spend in a store.I'll ask the salespeople at my lesson place if I can touch and see what theyre like for the ernie balls,d 'addario xl's,and the fender supers.So the supers are just nickel roundwounds?I never knew that.Thanks alot!I might get new strings this Thursday during my lesson.