Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Old strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by my name is mud, Oct 1, 2004.

1. my name is mud

my name is mud

Jul 2, 2004
    WI
    Well hehe...Ive been using this set of strings for like almost a year now lol. think I should get new ones? I play every day for 1+hours =) And could i maybe get some suggestions on what strings to get? I have a 4-string Brice. I like to jazz it up so lots of popping and slapping. What strings do you think would sound best with this tek?

2. DR stainless steel strings are great for slapping. But if you like your sound like it is, don't change them ;)

3. my name is mud

my name is mud

Jul 2, 2004
    WI
    oh one thing i forgot to metion is that im almost flat out broke... :bawl: 15-25$ is around what I would like to spend. And carl-anton, I hate the sound I get right now. Its muffled bland and plain ulgy my G string isn't even a metal color anymore...its more of a rust lol.

4. Daddario XL's are cheap and good, there might be others too. Lots of brands in the US I haven't tried (SIT, La Bella etc.). You could also try the alcohol trick: Put your strings in a jar with denaturated alcohol overnight. Should bring back some of the brightness, though it might be too late for a your worn out strings.

5. hey mud,
    don't know where you live, since you didn't fill out your profile...but if you live in the US, Carvin strings are dirt cheap at $9.99 for a set of 4, $12.99 for set of 5, $15.99 for set of six. You can get them in either nickle or stainless and currently they are offering free shipping. So, dirt cheap strings, no sales tax and free shipping.
    here's the url: www.carvin.com

You really should fill out your profile, it will help forum members answer any future questions.

peace and low notes
    :bassist:

6. my name is mud

my name is mud

Jul 2, 2004
    WI
    Ok I picked up some Fender Nickel Roundwound .045 .065 .085 .105
    I didn't really have much of a choice there was only first act and fender strings at the local music shop. They sound so much better then my old ones.