Old SVT head. Finally played through one

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cb56, Nov 30, 2002.

1. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    This old Svt head belongs to my guitar player who is also a bass player. He bought it in the spring of 1970. It has grey carpet on it and says Linden NJ on the back. Now I know what all the fuss is about. This thing is a tone monster and way louder than my 1000 watt B4r. I played it through my 610hlf cab and never turned the volume past the 9 o'clock position. I have a question about the 3 way rocker switch over the bass knob. The left position was either no bass boost or possibly bass cut. The right position was bass boost with mid cut (I think). The middle position was this great bass boost with no mid cut. This was the same tone that my SS amp SVT 200T had when I pulled out the ultra low knob. Great low end rumble with no muddyness or mid cut. Not like the bass boost on an SVT3pro which to me cuts the mids and sounds muddy.

Here's my question:
    Does anyone know what frequency is boosted and how much in the middle position?

I'm guessing 80 hz at least 8 db
    enlighten me :D
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I was under the impression that the Ultra-Lo switch, when in the middle, was "off", and was a cut when set to the left. I'll go play with mine today and see what's up. All I know is I never set it to "+", as the mid cut sounds like poo. I leave it in the middle.
    But, yeah, the sound great, don't they? :D