old teisco

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by skabass1, Feb 13, 2009.

1. skabass1

skabass1

Feb 13, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Hi everyone,

I recently bought an 60's Teisco bass. All electronics seemed to be okay when I plugged into the amp, but it picks up the noise not only from the vibration of the strings, but tapping sound from the body. I have never had this problem with any of my other basses (Rickenbacker 4003, Fender PB, Aria Pro II I don't remember the model). I am not good at electronics and never tried to modifiy or change pickups. I am assuming that this problem is due to the pickups on this bass. I am wondering if anybody know how to fix it without putting new pickups if possible?

Thanks

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Sounds like typical Teisco microphonic pickups to me. Fix it and you ruin its magic ;)

3. skabass1

skabass1

Feb 13, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks for the respose.
    I looked up the microphonic pickups on google and to fix it, I have to fill the pickup with wax. Is it worth doing or better buy a new pickup? And what do you mean by "you ruin its magic?"

4. The magic of a 60's garage band.

5. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    oh man my old Matsu/Teisco no-namer is quite the squealer if you get too close to the cabinet :D.....

....the squeal I believe is the ghost of the previous owner who see's I'm playing metal on it in 2009 instead of 70's old school rock, and is saying uh,no..... :bassist:

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Potting a pickup with wax is not done by amateurs. Those old Teiscos and similar guitars and basses are flawed, but they just have a certain coolness to their sound that can't be found elsewhere, and if you mess with it, you ruin it. If you put new pickups on it, it's no longer a Teisco, nor will it improve the tone. Just take it the way it is. A little body thumping adds character to the sound.

7. JonesRocket

JonesRocket

Apr 13, 2011
    Potting a Teisco pickup does NOT ruin the sound! Teisco guitars did not come with micro-phonic pickups, they became that way over many years. The wire on the coil becomes loose, and the magnet gets loose from the bottom plate. This causes terrible sounds that are NOT good for anyone's ears! It is easy to fix this problem with some candle wax. Melt some wax in a small pan, (or can) and dip the bobbin with the coiled wire on it, into the wax a couple of times. Then drip some wax between the bottom plate, and magnet, and anywhere else two pieces of metal come together. Put the pieces together while the wax is still soft. It will sound like it is supposed to when you put the pickup back in the guitar. Some of you wouldn't know mojo or "magic" if it bit you on the ass!

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021