1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Old telecaster bass neck question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Ubersheist, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Hey all, I don’t know if this is in the right forum. I did a search, but didn’t quite get my answer. I’m trying to date my neck on a Frankenstein bass. I think it’s from the 60s or early 70s, but I don’t know.

The Headstart clearly says “telecaster base” and there is a skunk stripe. The original turners were replaced before I bought it in 1988.

Would anyone know when the neck was made?

Attached Files:

2. Here is the neck…

Attached Files:

3. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    You’re going to have to pull the neck and see if it’s datecoded on the heel. If there’s nothing there, it’s likely not real. I don’t feel it’s genuine. And pictures please after you open it.

4. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    If it is an actual Fender neck - judging from the decal it would be from '68-'71. Early 68's had a 2-piece maple neck w/no skunk-stripe, and some later 68's had the more common one piece w/ss neck as the '51 P had.

5. shadven

shadven Twang-tastic Bass Player and Song Writer Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I rock, therefore I am.
    Does it have a neck stamp?
    Just from the pictures it would be later 68 - 71. But, it should have a neck stamp.

6. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    A fake 60's Fender neck faked before 1988? I'd be surprised, but not the first time I guess. Back then Fenders weren't worth anything remotely what they are today, and most likely not worth faking a late 60's style typology at the time. I'm thinking it's the real thing just based on the fact that you bought it in '88... :D